Sometimes even some ordinary and habitual food is not safe to eat. A harmless tomato, a cup of your favorite black tea, or a piece of cheese on your toast can hurt your body, especially your stomach. It’s all because the acidity of some products is higher than others. These foods cause heartburn, acid reflux, and other discomfort. That’s why it’s important to know the products that can harm your stomach and try to reduce their consumption.
Bright Side has studied the things that have low pH and that are not safe to eat in large amounts, and we can’t wait to let you know everything about this! As a bonus, we’ve included a list of products that are perfect for a low acid diet.
What are acidic foods?
Different substances, including the food that we eat, no matter if it’s solid or liquid, have a pH value. On a scale of 1 to 14, foods that have a pH less than 7, are considered acidic.
- pH 0 — a high level of acidity
- pH 7 — a neutral level of acidity
- pH 14 — a basic level of acidity (alkaline)
Ideally, our blood should have a pH of 7.35 — 7.45, which is considered to be slightly alkaline. The pH inside of our stomach is around 3.5 to 5.5, which is highly acidic.
1. Spicy food and sauces
Spicy food and sauces can easily trigger the irritation of the lining of the esophagus and cause discomfort. Consuming a lot of spicy things usually leads to heartburn. Be careful with the amount of spicy products you consume if you want to avoid any problems with your stomach.
- pH of chili sauce — 2.8 — 3.7
2. Caffeinated beverages
Caffeinated beverages like coffee, tea, and energy drinks can cause acid reflux and heartburn. They also irritate the esophagus or weaken the lower esophageal sphincter. This leads to the backward flow of stomach contents.
- pH of coffee — 4
- pH of black tea — 4.9 — 5.5
- pH of green tea — 7 — 10
- pH of energy drinks — 3.4
3. Citrus fruits and juices
Citrus fruit is another acidic food that you need to avoid if you don’t want to develop heartburn. Orange and grapefruit juices may irritate your stomach and cause discomfort.
- pH of lemons — 2.2 — 2.4
- pH of grapefruit — 3.0 — 3.7
- pH of orange — 3.0 — 4.0
Even though we often think that peppermint or spearmint can soothe our digestive system, this is wrong. High doses of spearmint can cause acid reflux and heartburn. Also, if you consume peppermint tea every day, you double your risk for developing heartburn. All you have to do here is reduce your consumption.
- pH of peppermint tea — 6 — 7
Tomatoes are highly acidic and can cause heartburn if you eat them too much. You can use sour candies as an antidote for heartburn from tomatoes. They promote saliva production and this is good for acid reflux, since saliva neutralizes the acid that comes up from your stomach.
- pH of tomatoes — 4.3 — 4.9
- pH of tomato juice — 4.1 — 4.6
- pH of tomato puree — 4.3 — 4.5
Alcoholic beverages, like wine or beer, stimulate the production of acid in the stomach, and in moderate or excessive intake can lead to heartburn. From one side, alcohol relaxes the sphincter valve, but from another side it damages the lining of the esophagus.
- pH of wine — 2.5 — 4.5
7. High-fat foods and fried foods
Fatty foods, including fried foods, are risky to eat, because they allow more stomach acid to back up into the esophagus. Products to avoid:
- Deep fried foods: French fries, onion rings, chips
- Fatty dairy products: cheese (pH 5.1 — 5.9), whole milk (pH 4.1 — 5,3), butter (pH 6.7 — 6.9), yogurt (pH 4.4 — 4.6)
- Fatty meat: fatty cuts of beef, pork, or lamb, bacon fat, ham fat, and lard (pH — 5.8)
- Nuts: cashews (pH — 5.9), walnuts (pH — 5.4)
- Greasy foods
This fat can cause heartburn because it relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter and promotes the release of the hormone cholecystokinin. Instead of deep frying your food, it’s better to bake it or grill it.
8. Fizzy drinks
Fizzy drink might seem like they do no harm, but they are actually really risky to drink. Carbonated beverages like Coca-Cola, Sprite, and Fanta put you at risk of getting acid reflux. Bubbles from these drinks expand in your stomach, put pressure on the sphincter, and push your stomach acid back into the food pipe.
- pH of Coca-Cola — 2.37
- pH of Fanta Orange — 2.82
- pH of Sprite — 3.24
9. Garlic and onion
For those who already have acid reflux, it is not recommended to eat garlic. Moreover, it can cause heartburn and an upset stomach too. Onions (especially raw) are also on the list of dangerous products. If you already have heartburn and you like eating burgers, it’s better to exclude the onions from your toppings.
- pH of garlic — 5.8
- pH of red onion — 5.30 — 5.8
10. More acidic foods to avoid
Here are some more foods you should limit if you don’t want them to affect your health:
- Corn oil
- Sugar, molasses, maple syrup, processed honey, and aspartame
- Mayonnaise, soy sauce, and vinegar
- Grains: corn, rice, wheat
Bonus: What happens to your body when you eat acidic foods?
Since the pH of our stomach juice is already higher than neutral, eating more food with the same acidity level won’t do you any good. When you consume acidic foods often it can lead to certain health problems like gastroesophageal reflux disease (or acid reflux), heartburn, tooth decay, and can even cause kidney stones.
Bonus #2: Good substitutes for acidic foods
Here is a list of the best alkaline foods that you can add to your healthy diet:
- Soy beans
- Vegetables: artichokes, asparagus, green, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, cauliflower, corn, eggplant, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, peas, bell peppers, potatoes, pumpkin, radishes, spinach, sprouts, squash, sweet potatoes
- Melons and bananas
- Whole grain bread
- Rice and couscous
- Grilled turkey and chicken
- Root vegetables, except onions
- Grilled or baked fish, without fatty sauces
- Egg whites
Do you enjoy eating any of these products? Have you ever had heartburn or acid reflux? How did you deal with it? Let’s discuss everything in the comment section!
20 Texts That Prove a Relationship Is Not an Easy Game
Chats make our relationships more exciting and unpredictable! 25% of couples sometimes even text their partner when they are both home together. It’s very difficult to say goodbye to text messaging because so many funny and amusing things go on there!
We at Bright Side also love to laugh at digital chatting situations between couples and want to share with you a new genre of humor.
Do you also have chats like this with your partner? Please, share your stories below!
Marvel Phase 4: Black Widow, Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4 schedule revealed
For the first time in years we finally have an idea of what Marvel Studios has planned for the next phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The studio revealed its upcoming schedule during its Hall H panel at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday night, announcing at least 10 projects to expect over the next two years. The biggest revelations include the news that Natalie Portman will wield Thor’s hammer; Mahershala Ali will star in a new Blade project; and a confirmation from Marvel that it’s working on movies featuring some of the studio’s recently acquired characters.
Marvel’s business plan and marketing strategy has long been to hype what’s next, with much of that hype being driven by its signature post-credits scenes and panels at fan conventions like Comic-Con or Disney’s D23. And for awhile, it was customary for the studio to announce its release schedule several years early — in 2015 Marvel announced movies like 2018’s Black Panther and 2019’s Captain Marvel.
But even the studio’s two most-recent films — April’s colossal cinematic juggernaut known as Avengers: Endgame and this month’s Spider-Man: Far From Home — arrived in theaters, Marvel still hadn’t revealed what movies it’s launching in 2020, or if it plans to launch any at all. Meanwhile, the studio had kept relatively quiet save for a few casting and crew announcements (like we found out this week that Taika Waititi would be directing the fourth Thor movie).
Here’s what Marvel announced during its Comic-Con panel:
- Black Widow, starring Scarlett Johansson and Rachel Weisz and directed by Cate Shortland, arriving in theaters on May 1, 2020
- The Eternals, starring Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek and directed by Chloe Zhao, arriving in theaters on November 6, 2020
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, starring Simu Liu and directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, arriving in theaters on February 12, 2021. Shang Chi will be Marvel’s first film with a lead character of Asian descent.
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen (yes, Scarlet Witch) and directed by Scott Derrickson, arriving in theaters on May 7, 2021
- Thor: Love and Thunder, directed by Taika Waititi and starring Natalie Portman (who will wield the legendary hammer as the first female Thor), Tessa Thompson, and Chris Hemsworth, arriving in theaters on November 5, 2021
Marvel studios president Kevin Feige also confirmed upcoming movies involving the Fantastic Four and the X-Men’s mutants — characters who were previously owned by Fox, but which now fall under Marvel’s purview thanks to the recent Disney-Fox merger. He also confirmed that the sequels for Black Panther and Captain Marvel, are in development. Black Panther is Marvel’s biggest solo superhero movie to date, having made $1.3 billion worldwide, and Captain Marvel, its first solo superhero film to center on a female hero, also passed the $1 billion mark.
Vying for the biggest surprise of the evening was Feige bringing Mahershala Ali to the Comic-Con stage to announce a new Blade project. Ali previously appeared as the villain in Marvel’s Netflix series Luke Cage, so the new Blade film project possibly signals that Marvel’s television projects with Netflix and its cinematic universe are completely separate entities.
Marvel also revealed its television series lineup for Disney’s forthcoming streaming service Disney+, which is scheduled to launch in November:
- The Falcon & Winter Soldier in fall 2020
- WandaVision in spring 2021
- Loki in spring 2021
- WHAT IF …? — an animated series featuring characters from the MCU in summer 2021
- Hawkeye in fall 2021
For fans who can’t wait until 2020 for Marvel’s next best thing, rest assured. The studio will probably have more surprises to share next month — and perhaps even first-look footage or concept art from its upcoming projects— at Disney’s D23 convention, which will take place from August 23 to 25, 2019 in Anaheim.
23 Moving Photos That Prove Our Moms Deserve All the Love in the World
From creating cosplay costumes for us and making lunches for all of our friends to giving us everything they’ve got, mothers never fail to surprise us! Their imagination and wit have no limits, as they always know how to find a solution to any situation, even if their resources are limited and time is short. No matter how old we get, we’ll always stay kids in our mothers’ eyes and they’ll always rush to help us, even if we’re 30 years old.
Bright Side wants to admire our moms, which why we’re so happy to give you 23 photos where people captured moments of being emotional, clever, brave and strong.
1. After giving birth, a mother laughs hysterically at her husband who just fainted at the sight of their newborn son.
2. “Little me knew exactly how to show appreciation for my mother.”
3. Proud mom with her graduated son
4. “My mom gave me a kidney 2 years ago. All I can give her are flowers.”
5. This clever single mother dressed up as a dad to take her kid to “Donuts With Dad” day at school.
6. She has 3 daughters and she writes 5 lines a day to each of them. These will be gifts when they get married one day.
7. This mom poses as a power ranger with her son. You don’t need to be a child to know how to have fun!
8. A homeless mother is dressing her daughter for school.
9. “My friend’s mom made my turtles sweaters.”
10. “A coworker said her mom made lunch for the office. We accepted.”
11. The best cosplay is when your mom decides to participate in it too.
12. “I told my mom I was really sick today. An hour later she showed up at my house with this. I’m 30.”
13. “I’m a teacher in Canada and my mom made me this scarf to keep me warm.”
14. A daughter surprised her mother with an early return from deployment. Her mother’s emotions are priceless.
15. “Yesterday my mom ran for the first time in 9 months since the Boston Marathon bombings. She’s my inspiration!”
16. “Jokingly, I sent my mom a cutout of myself while I was studying abroad. She seems to be entertaining herself with it.”
17. “This is one of my favorite pics of my mom even though she isn’t in focus. Hope you guys enjoy it.”
18. “My mom smiling after saving 40 kids from a burning school bus today”
19. “Look at this giant blanket my mom crocheted!”
20. “This is how my mom greeted me at the airport after having not seen me for a few years. She made me walk through the entire airport under her left arm.”
21. “My mom and I have always bonded over GoT. This year she made me these cakes for my 30th ’name day’.”
22. “My father passed away from lung cancer in July. Mom had these gifts made for me and my brother. The best gift I’ve ever received.”
“This is a shirt I used to wear, and when you hold it I’ll be there. Love, Dad.”
23. “My mom graduating with her Ph.D. in social work from Tulane. Her goal was to graduate by 60 and she did it with a year to spare.”
BONUS: Moms are always the same, loving and caring for everyone.
Which photo did you like the most? Do you have an adorable photo of you with your mom? Let’s share them in the comment section!
Viral News5 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News7 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News3 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News5 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News4 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News8 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News6 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News2 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019