According to the real Chinese legend, Mulan pretended to be a man and went to the army with the full support of her family. This sounds a little different from what is shown in the Disney movie about her. Disney has created a lot of wonderful stories that we all love with our whole hearts and that fill us with magic every time we watch them. Many movies are based on real events or are closely connected to our history, but Disney sometimes sacrifices historical accuracy to create a true fairytale.
Here at Bright Side we love all the Disney animation, but we also want to tell you a little bit about how the history of these stories has been changes for us.
1. There was no love story between Pocahontas and John Smith.
Pocahontas was about 11 years old when John Smith and other English colonists arrived. John Smith himself was 27 years old and there was no love story between them. John Smith was captured by Native Americans, but they released him soon afterward. However, while he was there he spent some time with little Pocahontas and they were teaching each other their own languages.
She later did marry an English man, but his name was John Rolfe, and it was the first recorded marriage between a European and a Native American. Pocahontas, whose real name was Matoaka, was converted to Christianity and took the name Rebecca.
2. Mulan’s parents supported her plan and no one in the army found out she was a woman.
The animated movie is based on the story of a real woman named Mulan. Just like in the movie, she went into the army because her father was old and weak and her brother was too little. However, she knew how to fight even before she got into the army since she had been learning it since she was a child. She also didn’t have to escape from her house since her family knew about her plan and supported her.
Mulan served in the army for 12 years and received a lot of awards, but no one found out she was a woman until she came back home with a bunch of people who figured it out only after she was seen wearing women’s clothes.
Did you pay attention to the fact she had a little brother? You might not remember him from the movie, but he was actually there… as a Mulan’s dog named Little Brother.
3. In Frozen, the characters are supposed to have guns.
The action from Frozen takes place in 1839 which brings us to another inaccuracy: at that time, people didn’t use swords anymore since they had already been replaced by guns. So the characters should have been armed with guns instead of swords like in the movie. However, if this was accurate, Elsa would probably have been killed. So we think swords are okay.
4. Extinct animals in Atlantis: The Lost Empire are shown for a reason.
The action in Atlantis: The Lost Empire takes place in 1914. In the aquarium you can see Coelacanths, which were believed to be extinct at the time since they weren’t rediscovered until 1938. The situation correlates with the lost city of Atlantis itself, that wasn’t believed to be true. Genius, right?
5. Tiana couldn’t open a restaurant or marry Naveen.
The action takes place in the early 1900s in New Orleans, during the time of Jim Crow racial segregation. It not only wouldn’t have been possible for a black girl (Tiana) to open her own restaurant, but she also wouldn’t have been able to marry Naveen since interracial marriages were illegal.
6. Inappropriate dancing between Aurora and Felipe
You probably remember the final scene of Sleeping Beauty when Felipe gently places his arm around Princess Aurora’s waist and they dance to their happily ever after. But at that time, in the 14th century, it was only OK to touch each other’s hands while dancing, and the way Aurora and Felipe danced would be considered incredibly inappropriate.
7. Jasmine’s clothing doesn’t fit into the era.
Although Disney usually tries to be pretty accurate, having the clothing their characters wear fit into the era, with Aladdin this was not the case. The action of the movie takes place around 4th −7th century, and Arabian girls wore way more conservative clothing then — probably even veils that covered everything but their eyes.
8. …nor do Aladdin’s dreams.
An even more interesting anachronism in Aladdin is the fact that he’s convinced, in the beginning of the movie, that everything’s going to change and that he will live in a castle, as he says to Abu. Although that’s exactly what happened, it would probably never come to mind to a person who has been living on the street his whole life.
It’s a modern view, which appeared only around the 19th century, when it became possible to change your social status. Before that, there was absolutely no change in this way of thinking. Those who were born into poverty had no other options other than to die in poverty. They knew this and couldn’t possibly imagine a different life or even dream about one.
9. In Dinosaur, the dinosaur couldn’t possibly have been raised by lemurs.
Lemurs and all other primates first appeared millions of years after the dinosaur era. So they did not co-exist with any of them, nor would they have been able to raise one like they did in the movie. But we want to believe that the lemurs were there, even though it’s not very accurate, right?
10. Hercules’ origin is slightly different than what was shown.
In the movie, it was shown that Hercules is the son of Zeus and Hera, who were living in pretty idyllic conditions. However, according to the myths, Hercules is the son of Zeus and a mortal girl, which made Hera very jealous. She hated Hercules, made his life difficult from an early age, and it was her, not Hades, who wanted to kill Hercules.
Telling the whole truth, Megara also had a different, less fascinating story. She was a princess and the daughter of Creon, king of the Greek city-state Thebes, who offered Hercules the chance to marry his oldest daughter after he helped to defeat their rivals.
11. Hercules killed Megara and their children.
If you ever wondered why there’s no second Hercules movie, it’s probably because, according to the myth, it was no fun afterward. The myths say that Hercules later took a trip to the underworld, but when he returned, he found out that a usurper named Lycus has taken the throne and was about to murder his family. Hercules kills him and saves his wife and kids, but Hera convinces him that his sons are actually sons of Lycus. In a rage, Hercules kills his kids and Megara.
Do you forgive Disney for these inaccuracies? Which one happened to be the most unexpected for you? Let us know your opinion!
11 Exercises to Fix Rounded Shoulders and Sculpt Beautiful Posture
Modern life takes its toll on our posture when we spend hours sitting and neglect the position of our spine. Poor posture leads to an imbalance in our muscles which means that they can’t support the body properly. Luckily, this can be fixed by doing a set of effective exercises. Moreover, they can help you to reduce back pain, stop headaches, increase energy, and improve circulation and digestion.
Bright Side is ready to help our readers achieve a beautiful and healthy body, and found 11 simple exercises that can be done at home by anyone. At the end we included a small tip, as a bonus for those who enjoy massage.
1. Upper trapezius stretch
It’s better to start from your shoulders first to relax your upper muscles. An upper trapezius stretch is just perfect for this.
Initial position: For this exercise, you can stand or sit on your yoga mat, whatever you like. Keep your head straight.
What to do:
- Slowly move your right ear toward your right shoulder. When you do this, it’s normal that your left shoulder might lift as well. If it does, bring your head back to the initial position and try to relax your left shoulder.
- Put your right hand over your head and place it on your left cheekbone. Don’t push your head down with it, it should just lie there. This will stretch your upper trapezius muscles very gently.
- Calmly breathe and sit in this position for 30 seconds.
- Slowly remove your hand, come back to the initial position and repeat the same on the other side.
The Superman exercise engages your upper and lower back. It helps you fight lower back pain and prevents a curved spine.
Initial position: Lie face down on your stomach, on your yoga mat.
What to do:
- Extend your arms and legs. Keep your neck neutral.
- Keep your torso stationary and lift your arms and legs up toward the ceiling. Try forming a “U” shape with your body.
- Hold the position for 5 seconds, lower your arms and legs, and go back to the initial position.
- Repeat 10 times.
The bridge works out glutes and strengthens the lower back, which is important for good posture.
Initial position: Lie on your yoga mat, bend your knees, and place your feet hip-width apart. Place your arms by your sides.
What to do:
- Engage your buttocks and raise them up, creating a straight line with your body. Your shoulders should be on the floor.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds and slowly lower your body back to the initial position.
- Repeat 15-20 times. Give yourself a rest for 30 seconds after every 5 reps.
4. Reverse shoulder stretch
This is an effective exercise to stretch your back and shoulder muscles and remove tension and pain in them.
Initial position: Stand on a yoga mat, with your feet wider than your shoulders, place your straightened hands behind you, and lock your palms together.
What to do:
- Bring your shoulder blades together and start putting your arms up. Try to feel the tension in your spine and shoulder muscles.
- For more spine stretch bend forward and bring your locked hands up. Hold this position for 10-15 seconds.
- Slowly return back to the initial position.
- Repeat 20 times.
5. Foam roller exercise for upper back
A foam roller will help you to relieve pain in your back muscles, fix rounded shoulders, and improve your overall posture.
Initial position: Get a yoga mat and lie on it with your hips apart and your feet on the floor. Place your foam roller right under your upper middle back, in your shoulder blade area.
What to do:
- Bring your hands behind your head, this will support it. Bring your hips into a bridge pose, and hold your balance, supporting your body with your legs.
- Inhale, push your body from your heels, and roll on your spine. Stop when the roller reaches the top of your shoulder blades.
- Exhale and roll back until the roller reaches the bottom if your rib cage.
- Repeat this for 30-45 seconds.
6. Cat-cow exercise
The cat-cow exercise is perfect for stretching your back, lower spine, and core muscles.
Initial position: Stand on all fours on the yoga mat, place your hands right under your shoulders, and knees and feet hip-width apart. Keep your toes pointing toward your body. Your spine should be natural and straight, no bending or arching.
What to do:
- Cat position: exhale and engage your abdominal muscles. Arch your spine up toward the ceiling, bringing your head to your chest, aligned with your spine. Hold this for 10 seconds.
- Cow position: slowly start bringing your stomach toward the floor and try to feel the tension in your lower back. Bring your shoulder blades together. Hold this for 10 seconds and go back to the initial position.
- Repeat 15 times.
7. Kneeling hip-flexor stretch
The kneeling hip flexor stretch will help to remove tension from your pelvic and lower back muscles.
Initial position: Kneel on a yoga mat, bring your right leg in front of you, and bend it at a 90 degree angle. Your foot is flat on the ground. Support yourself by standing on your left knee that is also bent at 90 degrees.
What to do:
- Slowly start bringing your right knee forward and brace your core. Engage your glutes and keep bringing your hips forward.
- Your left knee is already bent at more than 90 degrees. Keep your spine straight, don’t bend it forward or backward.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds to feel the stretch in the muscles then slowly return to the initial position.
- Repeat 10 times for both sides.
8. Bird dog exercise
Bird dog helps to remove back pain, strengthens the core, and promotes proper posture.
Initial position: Stand on all fours on the yoga mat, your hands under your shoulders and your knees under your hips. Your spine should be straight and neutral.
What to do:
- Raise your right hand and your left leg at the same time, bringing them parallel to the floor.
- As you do this, lengthen your neck and bring your chin to your chest. Look down at the floor and remain like this for 10 seconds.
- Return to the starting position and then repeat the same exercise with your left hand and right leg.
- Repeat 10-15 times.
9. Forearm plank
Plank is not only effective at burning fat, but it also helps to strengthen the spine muscles, it prevents back pain, and it helps to improve your posture.
Initial position: Place your forearms on the yoga mat and align your elbows below your shoulders. Your arms should be parallel to your body at about shoulder-width distance.
What to do:
- You can clasp your hands together for more comfort. Correct your neck and spine by looking at one spot on the floor somewhere about 30 centimeters in front of your hands.
- Pay attention, so that your head is in line with your back.
- Hold this position for 20 seconds.
10. T-Spine windmill stretch
The t-spine windmill stretch can help you fight pain and tension in your lower back and trunk. Moreover, it works out your shoulder muscles.
Initial position: Lie on your side on a yoga mat and bend your knees and hips at 90 degrees. Extend and stack your arms together on your right side.
What to do:
- Raise your left arm up and then place it out to the left, opening your body up. Right now, your shoulder blades should be on the floor and your legs should remain in the same position.
- Hold it for a couple of seconds and return to your initial position.
- Do 30 repetitions on each side.
11. Tight shoulder massage
A simple tennis ball can help you to remove pain in your shoulders in different areas and relax them. All you need here is a tennis ball and a wall.
Initial position: Stand next to the wall and face it. Place a tennis ball on the wall and lean on it. Your chest should push the ball inside your shoulder.
What to do:
- Start making a circular movement around this muscle and try to find a trigger point.
- Hold a ball on this point until you feel that the tension and pain are gone.
- Keep doing this until you relax all of your trigger points.
- Repeat on the other shoulder.
Bonus: Thai massage is amazing for your back and shoulders.
Thai massage is an ancient form of massage that uses stretching and gentle pressure on the body to relieve muscle and joint pain, and balance your body. This massage helps to make muscles more flexible and removes chronic stiffness. For better results in achieving a healthy back and good posture, you can try this type of massage, focusing on your spine muscles.
Exercises can be effective, but it’s also important to pay attention to your posture throughout the day and strive to keep your spine straight. Do you have good posture? Maybe, you have a couple of exercises that help you relieve back and shoulder pain? Let’s share in the comments!
Illustrated by Alena Tsarkova and Marat Nugumanov for BrightSide.me
8 Top Technology Trends To Watch In China
This is a preview of 2019 Technology Trends Report in China from Business Insider Intelligence and EqualOcean. Chinese high tech firms have been leading the way in innovation for many technologies, such as 5G. These technologies are either currently undergoing or about to undergo major phases of change.
View at DailyMotion
Why Iran is attacking oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz
The Strait of Hormuz is a narrow waterway that lies between Iran and Oman. Dozens of tankers carry oil through the 21-mile-wide passage each day. This flow of oil represents 20 percent of the world’s supply.
Most of the tankers traveling through the Strait of Hormuz are bound for Asia. But an attack on any tanker there, regardless of its destination, can affect the price of oil everywhere. That’s because oil is a globally traded product — a drop in supply from the Persian Gulf can drive up prices from other sources around the world. After two tankers were attacked in June, the price of Brent Crude — oil sourced from the North Sea — jumped by nearly $2 per barrel.
The attacks in June weren’t the only incidents in Hormuz in recent months. Several other oil tankers have been seized, attacked, and harassed. These tankers — and this narrow water passage — have become a center of conflict between the US and Iran. It’s a conflict with the potential to escalate in one of the world’s most important oil chokepoints, sending the global economy into a tailspin.
You can find this video and all of Vox’s videos on YouTube. And if you’re interested in supporting our video journalism, you can become a member of the Vox Video Lab on YouTube.
Follow me on Twitter
Viral News6 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News8 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News4 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News7 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News5 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News9 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News7 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News3 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019