The expectations we have at the movie usually include people around, lines to the ticket offices, and, of course, the huge screen in the theater — this is why we love going to the cinema. And the little things, like choosing the right seats in 4D can make the process of watching a movie even more enjoyable.
We at Bright Side love going to the movies and we want to share a few tips that are useful for fans of movie theaters.
1. The secret of red chairs in movie theaters
Red chairs in movie theaters appeared because of how popular the Italian opera was in the past. Red and gold are the traditional colors in the decoration of Italian theaters. Over time, other countries adopted them and when movie theaters appeared, the tendency remained.
There is a practical side to it: red is the first color that becomes invisible when there is a lack of light. Where there is little light in the theater, blue will appear to be brighter than red, even though when there’s enough light, it’s the other way around.
2. Earplugs make watching a movie more comfortable.
There are a lot of disturbing sounds in overcrowded theaters: someone eating popcorn next to you, a person talking on the phone on the other side of the theater, a couple whispering in the next row… There is a very simple way to make sure you won’t hear any of this. Wear earplugs. The little noises will disappear, but you will still be able to hear the sound of the movie.
Besides, earplugs can protect your hearing and health. Every theater regulates the volume the way they want and sometimes the noise level is too high, which can be the reason why your hearing becomes worse.
3. Thursday is an important day for movie theaters.
Most of the time, new movies are released on Thursdays. This day was chosen for a reason: this is supposed to increase the amount of money earned during the first week. Most people go to the movies on Fridays and on the weekend. And the reviews from people who go see these movies on Thursdays can make others want to go too.
4. Popcorn is extremely expensive in movie theaters.
Selling drinks and snacks is one of the main income sources for movie theaters. The movie business works this way: one sold ticket is only 30-40% profit. And now, people go to the movies less often. So, in order to earn money, it’s important to sell some other products.
Popcorn is extremely profitable because the price can be 10 times higher than it really should be. This is why almost all movie theaters have a small price difference between the different-sized buckets of popcorn. So, for a very small price increase, you will get much more popcorn even though you didn’t really need it.
5. Popcorn is not always fresh.
One of the main advantages of popcorn is the fact that it doesn’t go bad, even after several days. The unsold popcorn is stored in bags and then it is just added to the machine and heated when the day starts.
6. The age limit in movie theaters is no joke.
The age limit in movies is decided by the MPAA. There is a special commission for every single movie that watches films and gives them an age limit. And then, movie theaters (if they want, which almost never happens) can increase the age limit set by MPAA.
So, there are some movies teenagers are allowed to watch only with their parents, and some movies that are strictly for adults.
7. Going to the movie theater with your own food is your right.
Very often, the internal rules of movie theaters don’t allow visitors to come in with the food and drinks they bought somewhere else. However, this prohibition has no legal basis at all. So, you can easily take a bottle of water or a pack of chips inside the theater and not even feel guilty about it.
Movie theaters in Great Britain claim that you can come with your own food and drinks, unless it is alcohol. But not every movie theater is so respectful and caring about their visitors. So, it is better to put your snacks and drinks in a backpack.
8. IMAX halls have the biggest screens.
There is a popular misconception that IMAX halls are always 3D movie halls, but this is not true. Of course, IMAX often shows 3D-movies, but the main feature is the giant curved screen that is wider that the viewer’s field of vision. The big screen, the curve, and the necessity to turn your head are things that make you feel more immersed in the movie.
IMAX itself has several variants. Dome (OMNIMAX) — the projection on the dome-shaped screen when the viewers are in a lying down position. Laser — an improved version with better brightness and contrast. All other variants are only bigger screens and usually nothing more than marketing bait.
9. It is best to watch 3D-movies in your own glasses.
Despite what movie theaters say about cleaning 3D glasses after every movie, the process of cleaning is not shown to the public, so we can’t really trust it (and there are good reasons why). So, in order to be completely sure about the glass, just buy your own pair. You can buy them in many movie theaters and at specialized stores.
You should know that these glasses are not universal and they can only be used in the 3D-format they are meant for. So, before you buy a pair, it’s best to consult with an expert.
10. Some things you should know about 4D
This is a relatively new technology that accompanies the process of watching a movie, making you feel even more immersed in the film. Despite its name, 4D has nothing to do with the actual 4th dimension. It only adds new effects: motion, vibration, wind, smoke, smells, splashes of water, and so on.
However, there are formats that are completely different from each other. D-Box is the simplest one. These chairs are places in regular theaters and the only difference they offer is some motion and vibration according to the action on the screen. And because the moviegoer’s feet are on the ground, the effect is very subtle.
4DX pays a lot of attention to detail, this is where you can smell things, feel splashes of water, feel wind, and many other things. These chairs are located in separate theaters, there are also special stands for feet, so you don’t actually touch the floor. Aside from that, there are holes on the back of the chairs that are responsible for smells and other effects.
11. The Dolby Atmos sound system is something you should experience at least once.
There are more and more Dolby Atmos movie theaters popping up that are known for their great sound. The unique thing about them is the location of the speakers (there are even some on the ceiling) and a special technology that makes the sound more voluminous. So, you feel like you are surrounded by speakers (because you are) and it allows you to be tuned in to the movie even more.
12. Big movie theaters often show old movies too.
Sometimes, movie theaters not only show new releases, but some old masterpieces as well. For example, a remade copy of Spirited Away by Hayao Miyazaki was shown in movie theaters. The other 16 movies of this great Japanese director can be seen on the big screen this year. And this is not the only example.
13. You can take the cardboard cutouts and posters with characters home with you.
The thing is, film distributors give a bunch of accompanying materials to the movie theaters. And as soon as the movie is not shown anymore, all the cardboard cutouts, banners, posters, and other things are thrown away. So, if you ask an administrator for a poster close to the time when a movie is done in the movie theater, they are very likely to give you one.
Do you go to the movies often? Will you use earplugs from now on?
Illustrated by Leisan Gabidullina for BrightSide.me
20 Texts That Prove a Relationship Is Not an Easy Game
Chats make our relationships more exciting and unpredictable! 25% of couples sometimes even text their partner when they are both home together. It’s very difficult to say goodbye to text messaging because so many funny and amusing things go on there!
We at Bright Side also love to laugh at digital chatting situations between couples and want to share with you a new genre of humor.
Do you also have chats like this with your partner? Please, share your stories below!
Marvel Phase 4: Black Widow, Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4 schedule revealed
For the first time in years we finally have an idea of what Marvel Studios has planned for the next phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The studio revealed its upcoming schedule during its Hall H panel at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday night, announcing at least 10 projects to expect over the next two years. The biggest revelations include the news that Natalie Portman will wield Thor’s hammer; Mahershala Ali will star in a new Blade project; and a confirmation from Marvel that it’s working on movies featuring some of the studio’s recently acquired characters.
Marvel’s business plan and marketing strategy has long been to hype what’s next, with much of that hype being driven by its signature post-credits scenes and panels at fan conventions like Comic-Con or Disney’s D23. And for awhile, it was customary for the studio to announce its release schedule several years early — in 2015 Marvel announced movies like 2018’s Black Panther and 2019’s Captain Marvel.
But even the studio’s two most-recent films — April’s colossal cinematic juggernaut known as Avengers: Endgame and this month’s Spider-Man: Far From Home — arrived in theaters, Marvel still hadn’t revealed what movies it’s launching in 2020, or if it plans to launch any at all. Meanwhile, the studio had kept relatively quiet save for a few casting and crew announcements (like we found out this week that Taika Waititi would be directing the fourth Thor movie).
Here’s what Marvel announced during its Comic-Con panel:
- Black Widow, starring Scarlett Johansson and Rachel Weisz and directed by Cate Shortland, arriving in theaters on May 1, 2020
- The Eternals, starring Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek and directed by Chloe Zhao, arriving in theaters on November 6, 2020
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, starring Simu Liu and directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, arriving in theaters on February 12, 2021. Shang Chi will be Marvel’s first film with a lead character of Asian descent.
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen (yes, Scarlet Witch) and directed by Scott Derrickson, arriving in theaters on May 7, 2021
- Thor: Love and Thunder, directed by Taika Waititi and starring Natalie Portman (who will wield the legendary hammer as the first female Thor), Tessa Thompson, and Chris Hemsworth, arriving in theaters on November 5, 2021
Marvel studios president Kevin Feige also confirmed upcoming movies involving the Fantastic Four and the X-Men’s mutants — characters who were previously owned by Fox, but which now fall under Marvel’s purview thanks to the recent Disney-Fox merger. He also confirmed that the sequels for Black Panther and Captain Marvel, are in development. Black Panther is Marvel’s biggest solo superhero movie to date, having made $1.3 billion worldwide, and Captain Marvel, its first solo superhero film to center on a female hero, also passed the $1 billion mark.
Vying for the biggest surprise of the evening was Feige bringing Mahershala Ali to the Comic-Con stage to announce a new Blade project. Ali previously appeared as the villain in Marvel’s Netflix series Luke Cage, so the new Blade film project possibly signals that Marvel’s television projects with Netflix and its cinematic universe are completely separate entities.
Marvel also revealed its television series lineup for Disney’s forthcoming streaming service Disney+, which is scheduled to launch in November:
- The Falcon & Winter Soldier in fall 2020
- WandaVision in spring 2021
- Loki in spring 2021
- WHAT IF …? — an animated series featuring characters from the MCU in summer 2021
- Hawkeye in fall 2021
For fans who can’t wait until 2020 for Marvel’s next best thing, rest assured. The studio will probably have more surprises to share next month — and perhaps even first-look footage or concept art from its upcoming projects— at Disney’s D23 convention, which will take place from August 23 to 25, 2019 in Anaheim.
23 Moving Photos That Prove Our Moms Deserve All the Love in the World
From creating cosplay costumes for us and making lunches for all of our friends to giving us everything they’ve got, mothers never fail to surprise us! Their imagination and wit have no limits, as they always know how to find a solution to any situation, even if their resources are limited and time is short. No matter how old we get, we’ll always stay kids in our mothers’ eyes and they’ll always rush to help us, even if we’re 30 years old.
Bright Side wants to admire our moms, which why we’re so happy to give you 23 photos where people captured moments of being emotional, clever, brave and strong.
1. After giving birth, a mother laughs hysterically at her husband who just fainted at the sight of their newborn son.
2. “Little me knew exactly how to show appreciation for my mother.”
3. Proud mom with her graduated son
4. “My mom gave me a kidney 2 years ago. All I can give her are flowers.”
5. This clever single mother dressed up as a dad to take her kid to “Donuts With Dad” day at school.
6. She has 3 daughters and she writes 5 lines a day to each of them. These will be gifts when they get married one day.
7. This mom poses as a power ranger with her son. You don’t need to be a child to know how to have fun!
8. A homeless mother is dressing her daughter for school.
9. “My friend’s mom made my turtles sweaters.”
10. “A coworker said her mom made lunch for the office. We accepted.”
11. The best cosplay is when your mom decides to participate in it too.
12. “I told my mom I was really sick today. An hour later she showed up at my house with this. I’m 30.”
13. “I’m a teacher in Canada and my mom made me this scarf to keep me warm.”
14. A daughter surprised her mother with an early return from deployment. Her mother’s emotions are priceless.
15. “Yesterday my mom ran for the first time in 9 months since the Boston Marathon bombings. She’s my inspiration!”
16. “Jokingly, I sent my mom a cutout of myself while I was studying abroad. She seems to be entertaining herself with it.”
17. “This is one of my favorite pics of my mom even though she isn’t in focus. Hope you guys enjoy it.”
18. “My mom smiling after saving 40 kids from a burning school bus today”
19. “Look at this giant blanket my mom crocheted!”
20. “This is how my mom greeted me at the airport after having not seen me for a few years. She made me walk through the entire airport under her left arm.”
21. “My mom and I have always bonded over GoT. This year she made me these cakes for my 30th ’name day’.”
22. “My father passed away from lung cancer in July. Mom had these gifts made for me and my brother. The best gift I’ve ever received.”
“This is a shirt I used to wear, and when you hold it I’ll be there. Love, Dad.”
23. “My mom graduating with her Ph.D. in social work from Tulane. Her goal was to graduate by 60 and she did it with a year to spare.”
BONUS: Moms are always the same, loving and caring for everyone.
Which photo did you like the most? Do you have an adorable photo of you with your mom? Let’s share them in the comment section!
Viral News5 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News7 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News3 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News5 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News4 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News8 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News6 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News2 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019