Flights and airports are not always associated with comfort and pleasure, unless you are the owner of a private jet. There are many tips and tricks that can make your flight to any point in the world comfortable and easily accessible. For example, a simple combination of keys on the keyboard can help you buy cheaper tickets and a special sticker will allow you to get your luggage faster and avoid a line at the airport.
We at Bright Side have collected travel secrets from flight attendants and experienced travelers that you can easily use during your next flight.
1. How to handle luggage
- Many travelers believe that a “Fragile” sticker can help them protect their luggage from damage during their flight. Also, this sticker can help you get your luggage a little bit faster. The thing is that bags with these stickers are usually placed on top of other bags which means that they will be one of the first to arrive to you.
- Here’s another piece of advice from people who travel a lot: Almost all passengers have dark bags. So in order not have to spend a lot of time looking for your baggage, buy a bright-colored bag that you can easily tell from the others.
2. How to pack your things correctly
- Fill all the space in your bag so that your things can’t freely move around inside. Heavy objects should be placed near the sides of the bag and the most fragile pieces should be in the center.
- Glass objects should be wrapped in cardboard instead of cloth. For example, you can use an old shoebox. Unlike soft towels, the thick carton can protect the fragile item better if the bag is dropped or placed under something heavy.
- Before your flight, take a moment to snap a few pictures of the insides of the bag. This way, it will be easier for you to prove that something went missing, if it happens.
3. How to save money when buying tickets
- The combination of Ctrl + Shift + N can help you find cheaper tickets because it allows your computer to enter the incognito mode. This way airline websites won’t be able to record your search history and won’t try to offer you tickets at a more expensive price in order to make you feel like the flight cost in increasing by the minute.
- Another cool trick to use on the websites of airline companies is to buy tickets in the language of the destination country. It might be a little more difficult, but for some reason prices go up a little if you use the version of the website in your native language.
- And one more extremely important rule that passengers who travel often always follow is that they buy tickets on Tuesdays after 3 p.m. It is also better to book them 6 weeks before your flight. The busiest times are Friday evenings and Monday mornings, so the most expensive tickets are sold at this time.
- Sometimes, buying tickets with a connection in a city you need to stop at can be much cheaper than a regular direct flight. For example, you are going back from the US to Europe through Helsinki and the final destination for your tickets is Stockholm. But a direct flight from the US to Finland may be more expensive than a ticket with an additional flight to Stockholm.
4. How to choose the right place on the plane
- Aisle seats irritate a lot of people because the armrest can’t be lifted and standing up may be inconvenient especially with the seat table down. Some planes actually allow you to lift the armrest if you press a secret button. Flight attendants know about it, but they are not likely to tell you because it’s been made stationary on purpose in order to help them avoid hitting you with the food cart.
- Experienced travelers recommend booking seats 11 and 12 because superstitions keep many people from booking seat number 13. There is a good chance that there will be nobody in the seat next to you or in that row.
- If you are traveling with another person, it is better to book a window seat and an aisle seat. There is a chance that the middle seat will remain free because it is usually the most uncomfortable one. And if the plane is completely full, you can easily switch places with your neighbor and sit with your friend or partner. Of course, if the airline rules allow this.
- If you are planning to sleep on the plane, then choose the window seat so you can lean on the wall. But before you do that, remember which side you usually sleep on in your bed. If you sleep on the left side, choose the right side of the plane and vice versa. It will be much easier for you to fall asleep this way.
- You can choose a comfortable seat on the plane using different services where you need to enter your flight number and the departure airport. The plan will show you which seats have more space for legs, what they will feed you, and other useful information.
- It is better to enter the plane at the very end of the boarding. This way, you’ll be able to choose any free seat that could be a little bit better than the one on your ticket.
5. How to get some bottled water on board
If you don’t want to buy regular water at the airport for a lot of money, there is an unusual way to get water through without breaking the safety rules. You can freeze a bottle of water at home and if the ice doesn’t melt, you can get the water inside through the customs. The official website of the Department of Homeland Security of the US gives an official recommendation about this. But it is better to just take a regular plastic bottle with you and fill it with water from a drinking fountain after going through customs control.
6. How to avoid lines at the airport
- Many travelers that fly often have noticed that if you are in line for customs or passport control, it is better to choose the leftmost line. Most people are right-handed and they often subconsciously turn right whenever they can, so there is a huge chance that the left line will be shorter and move much faster than all the others.
- In order to not spend too much time going through customs, put all your small items in your jacket, instead of in your pants pockets. You can quickly just remove your jacket and put it through the check. And the risk of losing something by accident will be significantly reduced because most things that people lose, are lost in customs.
- In order to speed up your experience at the customs control point, put your laptop and the liquids in your carry-on bags through last. Customs officers always ask passengers to take these things out of their bags so they can check them. Watches, jewelry, and belts are also better placed in bags or jackets while you are in line.
7. How to find a charger at the airport
- Many travelers share their stories of how easy it was for them to find a charger in the lost and found at airports. And they didn’t even lose their chargers! According to airport rules, if you lost something and haven’t come back for it for 90 days, this thing can be given to someone who needs it.
- If you were unable to find a power outlet at the airport, you can try to charge your phone from a huge TV that can be found in almost any airport. On the other side of a TV, you can find a USB connection and plug your phone into it. Charging will work only if the TV is on. You can use the same lifehack at hotels if you lost part of your charger but you still have a cable.
8. What you can do if you are stuck at the airport at night
- If you don’t want your flight to be delayed, it is better to choose the earliest flight from the airport. You can get this information from the airport or the airline company. When you choose a flight with a connection, you have to remember that there should be enough time for the airport services to transport your luggage from one plane to another. Try to choose flights with at least one hour of time between your connections — this way the chances of losing your luggage are lower.
- But if you still missed your flight or you have to spend the night at the airport for some other reason, there are special services that can help you find the best place for sleep in almost all the big airports in the world. You can also get information about the location of medical services, power outlets, shower rooms, and rooms for children.
9. How to connect to the internet for free
In many airports, a Wi-Fi connection is given for free, but in very “greedy” places that try to charge you, you can try and get closer to the business lounge area and access their network. Here, travelers share network passwords from airports all over the world, so you can try and find the right one.
10. How to get the business class advantages
If you want to get business class service when you have an economy class ticket, you have to be polite and nice to the flight attendants, use their names when talking to them, and smile at them. Flight attendants say that they are happy to move people to business class for free if they like a certain passenger and if they have a free seat.
11. Why you shouldn’t touch your face
Planes are usually very dirty, according to the flight attendants themselves. It is easy to catch a virus or something like that, so we recommend not walking barefoot on board, not eating anything that fell on the tray table, and not touching your face.
12. How to overcome jetlag
- Experienced flight attendants recommend choosing a flight so that it arrives at the destination in the evening, at about 4 p.m. This way, you will have enough time to get to the hotel, take a shower, have dinner, and go to bed.
- If you are going to fly East, 3 days before the flight, try to go to bed and wake up earlier than usual. When boarding the plane, set your watch to the time of your destination to make your brain start to get used to the new time while you are flying.
13. How to get free tours
Find out in advance if the airport you are going to have a long connection at offers free sightseeing tours. For example, if you have come to Istanbul with Turkish Airlines, you can go on a free bus tour around the city. There is one condition that you should take into account: the time before your next flight should be at least 6 hours but no more than 24 hours.
14. Why is “cassole” the magic word?
Do you want some more food on the plane? Ask for another cassole. This is the name for the box of hot food (usually made of tin foil). When a passenger asks for a cassole, flight attendants realize that this person travels a lot and they know that there are always additional cassoles on board. So, most likely, they will bring you another one.
What tips would you give to someone who is traveling by plane for the first time?
7 Hidden Messages in “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” That Weren’t Meant for Kids
Lewis Carroll’s tale Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland had an amazing influence on cinema, literature, and even psychology: movies and ballets were based on it, sequels and remakes were written. There is even a psychological disorder named after the main character: Alice in Wonderland Syndrome (AWS). This seemingly innocent children’s story was the subject of heated discussions by scientists of the 20th century and even Freud talked about it. The point of the discussions was simple: was the tale written for children or for adults?
Bright Side has read the book “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland Decoded” and tried to figure out which parts of the story can only be understood by adults.
1. Alice’s shrinking and growing is a sign of puberty.
When Alice ate a cake or drank a certain mixture, Alice would shrink or grow, and she was scared that she would disappear completely. While there were no actual reasons for the changes in her body in the text, scientists have 3 versions of what could have been the hidden meaning behind that episode:
- Alice’s body changes in a similar way to how it would change as a teenager during puberty. Many people think that Carroll showed the puberty of the character. But why this idea may also be wrong is because Alice is only 7 years old and it is too young to be a teenager.
- Astronomers link the character with the expanding Universe. According to one of the theories, the amount of matter in the Universe is constantly decreasing which will ultimately lead to its disappearance. Obviously, this is why the character was worried about shrinking so much that she would vanish.
- Other people see an indication of hallucinogenic substances, which make people completely disoriented, just like Alice.
2. The pig the character has is an English King.
It is believed that the tale is an allusion to the War of the Roses that took place in England in the 15th century. This time period was full of scheming, betrayal, and there were a lot of chopped heads — just like in the tale.
Assuming the guess is correct, then baby that turned into the pig is a member of the White Rose. And more specifically, it was Richard III who had a sigil with a white boar. Shakespeare even wrote a play about it where he presented Richard in a very bad light.
3. The smell of pepper in the house of the Duchess hides the smell of bad food.
The tale casually mentions that the house of the Duchess smells a lot like pepper because the scullery was adding pepper to the soup. But it may have been a hint at the problem that the food at the time was peppered a lot, to kill the smell of rotten ingredients.
4. Alice is Eve, who becomes a sinner.
The adventures of Alice starts in a quiet garden. It was an idyllic place, green and quiet, and that’s why it reminds many people the Garden of Eden. But Alice doesn’t take an apple, she goes down the rabbit hole and goes into a world that gives rise to incredible changes in her. This theory seems to be pretty logical: children are innocent but when Alice went into the hole (took the apple), she entered the world of puberty, adult life, and became a sinner.
5. Keys, doors, and caterpillars are Freudian symbols.
When Freudian theories became very popular around the world, the tale of Alice turned out to be full of gynecological symbols. The fans of Freud managed to see the symbols in the doors that were hidden behind the curtains, and keys that open these doors. Of course, they couldn’t have missed Absolem — the giant caterpillar that looks like a you know what.
Even though this theory has life, it is not very believable, because people can see these symbols everywhere if they really want to.
6. Walrus and Carpenter are actually Buddha and Jesus.
This is the name of the poem that the twin brothers Tweedledee and Tweedledum read to Alice. The poem tells the story about Walrus and Carpenter, that walk on the beach and call out for oysters to walk with them. The oysters go to the shore and Walrus and Carpenter eat them. Walrus then cries at the end.
There are several interpretations:
- Walrus is a caricature of Buddha, and Carpenter is Jesus. For example, the character Loki from Dogma believes this. The logic is simple: Walrus is fat and happy, so he is Buddha or elephant Ganesha, and Carpenter is the direct reference to the profession of the father of Jesus.
- J. Priestly is convinced that the poem is the story of England’s (Walrus) colonization of America (Carpenter).
- There is a more violent interpretation. Some people believe that Walrus and Carpenter are politicians that kill the masses — the oysters.
7. The poem about the White Rabbit in chapter 12 uncovers the love mystery of Carroll himself.
Some researchers see the reference to the unusual connection between Lewis Carroll and Alice Liddell that was the prototype of the main character. Here are the lines we are talking about:
He sent them word I had not gone
(We know it to be true):
If she should push the matter on,
What would become of you?
This is one of the most sensitive moments in the interpretation of the tale. Some people think that when the girl was supposed to come of age, the writer was going to marry her, but for some reason he had an argument with Mrs. Liddell and he never saw the members of the family since.
Do you want to read the tale now that you have some new knowledge about it in order to find some new hidden meaning? If yes, you can read the original manuscript written by Carroll himself here.
What 20 Celebs Looked Like at the Start of Their Career
Celebrities are usually known for their biggest successful works, but most of them stepped into the entertainment world with smaller roles. A lot of them have been in the industry for so long that we’ve forgotten what they looked like when they first started. Taking a look at some of their earliest works is indeed a blast from the past.
Bright Side looks into some of the earliest works from certain actors and is amazed at how much they have grown within the industry.
1. George Clooney
2. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
3. Keanu Reeves
4. Brie Larson
5. Betty White
6. Leonardo DiCaprio
7. Drew Barrymore
8. Tom Hanks
9. Scarlett Johannson
10. Halle Berry
11. Harrison Ford
12. Denzel Washington
13. Reese Witherspoon
14. Angelina Jolie
15. Johnny Depp
16. Jennifer Garner
17. Robert Downey Jr.
18. Will Smith
19. Nicole Kidman
20. Sandra Bullock
Have you seen the early works of these celebrities before? Do you know what any other famous entertainers looked like when they first began their career?
14 Examples of How Perfect Photos on Social Media Can Mislead Us
Most Internet users tend to sugarcoat their lives, belongings, body shapes, etc. And Instagram is the perfect place to post these kinds of photos. It’s a world of successful, happy people who take colorful trips, make expensive purchases, and boast perfect bodies.
Bright Side found some “behind-the-scenes” photos of gorgeous shots from social media. Turns out, believing everything you see on the Internet is never a good idea.
1. A 3-minute smartphone photo session + 3 magic filters
2. The king of the road
3. It’s all about the right angle…
4. A popular festival on Instagram vs a popular festival in reality
5. Support is the real hero.
6. A dog can never spoil a shot.
7. Slightly added brightness
8. When summer starts, we see it on every other Instagram account.
9. The process of making up always finishes the same way.
10. Unicorns can be insidious.
11. Everyone wants a photo in a lavender field.
12. Bright cities in photos might not be as bright in real life.
13. Aboard a private jet
14. A fashionable breakfast
Do you edit your photos on social media to try to look better? We’d be happy to hear from you in the comments!
Follow me on Twitter
Viral News6 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News8 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News4 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News6 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News5 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News9 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News7 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News3 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019