We all admire the first Nobel Prize winner Maria Skłodowska-Curie, the “mother” of programming Grace Hopper, the initiator of the civil rights movement Rosa Lee Parks, mathematician Ada Lovelace, and other great ladies. But in modern times, there are also women who are changing history.
Bright Side wants to tell you about them — strong, brave, and kind women whose names will definitely not be forgotten even in 100 years from now.
1. Nadia Murad
This is a 26-year-old girl won the Nobel Peace Prize last year. She was given this prestigious award for informing the public about the terrible situation of Yazidi women in Iraq. Unfortunately, Nadia Murad gained this information from her own experience. At the age of 21, she got into ISIS and was a sex slave there. After 3 months of living in hell, she managed to miraculously escape. Together with other refugees, she made it to Germany, where she talked about her experience at the UN, wrote a book, and started her civil rights journey.
Nadia decided to do everything she could in order to stop the suffering of other women in her country. Murad said, “The terrorists would’ve never imagined that some Yazidi girl would be brave enough to tell the entire world about the details of what they do to us. We challenge them, we don’t let their crimes remain a secret. Every time I tell my story, I feel like I deprive the terrorists of some of their power.”
2. Melinda Gates
She’s a philanthropist, a businesswoman, and Bill Gates’ wife. Together with her husband, she set up a charity foundation which is now one of the biggest foundations in the world. Melinda and her husband have donated over $40 billion to improving healthcare and overcoming famine in poor countries, saving the environment, fighting serious diseases, and other important projects.
Recently, Melinda Gates’ priority has become helping women around the world. She talks about family planning, birth control, and the right to an education. She also supports women’s business and acts as an example of an active person who cares about others. “I think that independent women will change our world,” says Melinda.
3. Malala Yousafzai
The entire world started talking about Malala Yousafzai when this Pakistani girl was only 11 years old. At the time, she had a blog where she described her life living under the Taliban regime and talked about the limited access to education in her country. She was very brave for her age and her criticism wasn’t tolerated very well by the followers of the radical Islamic movement. In 2012, they wanted to kill Malala Yousafzai. The Taliban forced their way onto her school bus and yelled, “Who is Malala?” “I am Malala!” she answered fearlessly and they shot her in the head. She will say later, “That day, all my fears died.”
Doctors saved Malala and when she recovered, she was able to tell her story to the UN. Yousafzai noticed that there are 57 million children in the world (31 million girls) who don’t go to school and she is going to do all she can in order to change this. Because the issue of education in developing countries was discussed again, Malala got the Nobel Peace Prize.
4. Nasrin Sotoudeh
This Iranian lawyer who has protected activists from the opposition has raised the question of equal rights for men and women in her country, while revealing the political crimes that are happening. In 2018, Nasrin Sotoudeh was sentenced to 38 years in prison and 148 lashes. She was accused of a conspiracy against national security, spreading propaganda, violating the public order, and also giving a public speech without a hijab.
Now she is in jail and even though the entire world understands than Nasron suffered because of her bold words about freedom and because she was protecting the civil rights of women in her country, the only organization that can save her is the UN. By the spring of 2019, the high commissioner for human rights had already visited Iran, so there is hope that Sotoudeh will be freed.
5. Oprah Winfrey
Many people know Oprah Winfrey as the most prominent TV anchor from the US, but the first black woman billionaire in history also deserves to be talked about as one of the most generous celebrities.
The school that Oprah Winfrey opened in South Africa has been functioning for several years now. Winfrey dreams about a future where girls from poor countries have a chance to study. She visits the school for graduation parties and she helps the most talented kids to enter the leading colleges in the world. She has spent over $400 million on education development. And she is not going to stop.
6. Leymah Roberta Gbowee
She is an activist and peacekeeper from Liberia who is convinced that only mothers can truly change the world. During the civil war in her country, she organized a women’s peace movement. They started protesting and addressed the president, “In the past we were silent, but after being killed, raped, dehumanized, and infected with diseases, and watching our children and families destroyed, war has taught us that the future lies in saying NO to violence and YES to peace! We will not relent until peace prevails.”
The movement of Gbowee was one of the main factors which caused the Liberian civil war to stop. And the first female president in the history of Africa has come into power.
In 2011, Leymah Roberta Gbowee received the Nobel Peace Prize for the non-violent fight for women’s rights. Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf (the above-mentioned president of Liberia) also got the Prize along with Tawakkol Karman from Yemen, who is called the mother of revolution in her country.
7. Greta Thunberg
One year ago, this girl refused to go to school on Fridays and instead, she started a protest in front of the Swedish Parliament building. Greta asked people to pay more attention to climate change and to do more to keep the planet safe. So, the entire world joined Thunberg.
Now, millions of school students (and adults) support her Fridays for Future movement and repeat the simple, but wise, words that the girl said, “If we don’t protest today, we won’t have a tomorrow.”
In just one year, Greta has already received a lot of awards (it’s very likely that she’ll get the Nobel Prize), has given a TED talk and a speech in the US, and has become one of the most prominent eco-activists of today.
Let’s continue this list in the comment section. Tell us about the women who are making this planet a better place.
20 Texts That Prove a Relationship Is Not an Easy Game
Chats make our relationships more exciting and unpredictable! 25% of couples sometimes even text their partner when they are both home together. It’s very difficult to say goodbye to text messaging because so many funny and amusing things go on there!
We at Bright Side also love to laugh at digital chatting situations between couples and want to share with you a new genre of humor.
Do you also have chats like this with your partner? Please, share your stories below!
Marvel Phase 4: Black Widow, Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4 schedule revealed
For the first time in years we finally have an idea of what Marvel Studios has planned for the next phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The studio revealed its upcoming schedule during its Hall H panel at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday night, announcing at least 10 projects to expect over the next two years. The biggest revelations include the news that Natalie Portman will wield Thor’s hammer; Mahershala Ali will star in a new Blade project; and a confirmation from Marvel that it’s working on movies featuring some of the studio’s recently acquired characters.
Marvel’s business plan and marketing strategy has long been to hype what’s next, with much of that hype being driven by its signature post-credits scenes and panels at fan conventions like Comic-Con or Disney’s D23. And for awhile, it was customary for the studio to announce its release schedule several years early — in 2015 Marvel announced movies like 2018’s Black Panther and 2019’s Captain Marvel.
But even the studio’s two most-recent films — April’s colossal cinematic juggernaut known as Avengers: Endgame and this month’s Spider-Man: Far From Home — arrived in theaters, Marvel still hadn’t revealed what movies it’s launching in 2020, or if it plans to launch any at all. Meanwhile, the studio had kept relatively quiet save for a few casting and crew announcements (like we found out this week that Taika Waititi would be directing the fourth Thor movie).
Here’s what Marvel announced during its Comic-Con panel:
- Black Widow, starring Scarlett Johansson and Rachel Weisz and directed by Cate Shortland, arriving in theaters on May 1, 2020
- The Eternals, starring Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek and directed by Chloe Zhao, arriving in theaters on November 6, 2020
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, starring Simu Liu and directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, arriving in theaters on February 12, 2021. Shang Chi will be Marvel’s first film with a lead character of Asian descent.
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen (yes, Scarlet Witch) and directed by Scott Derrickson, arriving in theaters on May 7, 2021
- Thor: Love and Thunder, directed by Taika Waititi and starring Natalie Portman (who will wield the legendary hammer as the first female Thor), Tessa Thompson, and Chris Hemsworth, arriving in theaters on November 5, 2021
Marvel studios president Kevin Feige also confirmed upcoming movies involving the Fantastic Four and the X-Men’s mutants — characters who were previously owned by Fox, but which now fall under Marvel’s purview thanks to the recent Disney-Fox merger. He also confirmed that the sequels for Black Panther and Captain Marvel, are in development. Black Panther is Marvel’s biggest solo superhero movie to date, having made $1.3 billion worldwide, and Captain Marvel, its first solo superhero film to center on a female hero, also passed the $1 billion mark.
Vying for the biggest surprise of the evening was Feige bringing Mahershala Ali to the Comic-Con stage to announce a new Blade project. Ali previously appeared as the villain in Marvel’s Netflix series Luke Cage, so the new Blade film project possibly signals that Marvel’s television projects with Netflix and its cinematic universe are completely separate entities.
Marvel also revealed its television series lineup for Disney’s forthcoming streaming service Disney+, which is scheduled to launch in November:
- The Falcon & Winter Soldier in fall 2020
- WandaVision in spring 2021
- Loki in spring 2021
- WHAT IF …? — an animated series featuring characters from the MCU in summer 2021
- Hawkeye in fall 2021
For fans who can’t wait until 2020 for Marvel’s next best thing, rest assured. The studio will probably have more surprises to share next month — and perhaps even first-look footage or concept art from its upcoming projects— at Disney’s D23 convention, which will take place from August 23 to 25, 2019 in Anaheim.
23 Moving Photos That Prove Our Moms Deserve All the Love in the World
From creating cosplay costumes for us and making lunches for all of our friends to giving us everything they’ve got, mothers never fail to surprise us! Their imagination and wit have no limits, as they always know how to find a solution to any situation, even if their resources are limited and time is short. No matter how old we get, we’ll always stay kids in our mothers’ eyes and they’ll always rush to help us, even if we’re 30 years old.
Bright Side wants to admire our moms, which why we’re so happy to give you 23 photos where people captured moments of being emotional, clever, brave and strong.
1. After giving birth, a mother laughs hysterically at her husband who just fainted at the sight of their newborn son.
2. “Little me knew exactly how to show appreciation for my mother.”
3. Proud mom with her graduated son
4. “My mom gave me a kidney 2 years ago. All I can give her are flowers.”
5. This clever single mother dressed up as a dad to take her kid to “Donuts With Dad” day at school.
6. She has 3 daughters and she writes 5 lines a day to each of them. These will be gifts when they get married one day.
7. This mom poses as a power ranger with her son. You don’t need to be a child to know how to have fun!
8. A homeless mother is dressing her daughter for school.
9. “My friend’s mom made my turtles sweaters.”
10. “A coworker said her mom made lunch for the office. We accepted.”
11. The best cosplay is when your mom decides to participate in it too.
12. “I told my mom I was really sick today. An hour later she showed up at my house with this. I’m 30.”
13. “I’m a teacher in Canada and my mom made me this scarf to keep me warm.”
14. A daughter surprised her mother with an early return from deployment. Her mother’s emotions are priceless.
15. “Yesterday my mom ran for the first time in 9 months since the Boston Marathon bombings. She’s my inspiration!”
16. “Jokingly, I sent my mom a cutout of myself while I was studying abroad. She seems to be entertaining herself with it.”
17. “This is one of my favorite pics of my mom even though she isn’t in focus. Hope you guys enjoy it.”
18. “My mom smiling after saving 40 kids from a burning school bus today”
19. “Look at this giant blanket my mom crocheted!”
20. “This is how my mom greeted me at the airport after having not seen me for a few years. She made me walk through the entire airport under her left arm.”
21. “My mom and I have always bonded over GoT. This year she made me these cakes for my 30th ’name day’.”
22. “My father passed away from lung cancer in July. Mom had these gifts made for me and my brother. The best gift I’ve ever received.”
“This is a shirt I used to wear, and when you hold it I’ll be there. Love, Dad.”
23. “My mom graduating with her Ph.D. in social work from Tulane. Her goal was to graduate by 60 and she did it with a year to spare.”
BONUS: Moms are always the same, loving and caring for everyone.
Which photo did you like the most? Do you have an adorable photo of you with your mom? Let’s share them in the comment section!
Viral News5 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News7 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News3 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News5 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News4 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News8 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News6 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News2 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019