When talking about the job of a teacher, many people refer to it as “a calling”. We all want our children to be educated by teachers who love their jobs and who make children feel inspired, interested, and motivated. There are 2 opinions when it comes to teachers: “A talented person will be successful, no matter what,” and “A talented person needs a good teacher.”
A charity foundation that was set up in 2015 by a businessman named Sunny Varkey (and Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, his patron) awards someone as “Best Teacher” every year with a Global Teacher Prize.
Bright Side was really interested in the winner of the 2019 competition because there were 10,000 applications from 179 countries, with a prize of $1,000,000.
Teachers from India, Australia, the US, Kenya, the Netherlands, Brazil, Japan, Argentina, Great Britain, and Georgia made it to the final stage of the competition.
A Kenyan science teacher and Franciscan friar named Peter Tabichi won the award. The award ceremony took place in Dubai and the name of the winner was announced by actor Hugh Jackman.
Peter Tabichi is a teacher in a small African village where the inhabitants often don’t have enough of the most necessary things. Despite this, his students are famous for their wins in international science competitions which is what ultimately attracted the foundation’s attention.
The school these students go to doesn’t look like a school that houses major victories. There is only 1 teacher for 58 students and 1 computer, and in order to make it to lessons, many kids have to cover huge distances on washed-out roads during the rainy season. Most of Tabichi’s students are kids from poor families or they’re orphans. The school is sorely lacking financial support, so Peter donates 80% of the money he makes on the development of the school — the school uniforms, textbooks, and other materials.
7 years ago, he used to teach at a private school but then decided to become a Franciscan friar and leave his job. The code he lives by requires him to have a somewhat ascetic lifestyle and help others. This is why teaching at a poor school is considered charity for Tabichi.
“This win does not belong to me: it demonstrates the achievements of young minds. I am here only thanks to my students’ achievements. A victory gives them a chance. It means that there are no borders for them.”
Tabichi explains how he uses different motivation methods with his students because the secret to success is believing in yourself. Every person can find something they like doing and feel confident. Peter teaches kids to look at things from different perspectives. This is why his projects where students can organize processes and analyze results by themselves are very popular.
The teacher doesn’t say that some of these projects are “cool” and others are “not cool”. The most important thing about them is that the students have to use their imaginations and have to look for new solutions. Tabichi says, “Creativity is extremely important, especially in difficult situations when the resources are limited.”
In this school, there are scientific and creative clubs where every student can showcase their achievements.
“Seeing my learners grow in knowledge, skills, and confidence is my greatest joy in teaching! When they become resilient, creative, and productive in the society, I get a lot of satisfaction for I act as their greatest destiny enabler and key that unlocks their potential in the most exciting manner.”
Tabichi also managed to talk about tolerance: “He created the ’Peace Club’ where there are people of 7 different nationalities and religious beliefs who all visit this school.
People are most interested in one big question: What is he going to spend his prize money on?
His answer? First and foremost, on computer science class, the development of the science lab, and new projects that can improve people’s lives. For example, Peter wants to teach his students to grow drought-tolerant crops. This project is absolutely necessary for life in Africa.
Interestingly, the agreement terms of the foundation say that the winner has certain responsibilities and the prize is not given to the winner right away.
For 10 years, the winner gets $100,000 every year and they have to stay in the profession for 5 years and be a global ambassador for The Varkey Foundation. It means that they have to visit certain events, talk to the media, and participate in training.
We’re deeply impressed by such people! Their stories are bright illustrations of what we call “the purpose of life”. What do you think about this award?
Cute Baby Dresses New Fashion Trend
26 Cat Tattoos That Can Leave a Paw Print on Your Heart
Tattoos are so popular that, for example, Americans spend $1.65 billion on them every year. As we know, cats are popular too. And real magic happens when these 2 things combine into one. We get great and unusual images of fluffies that perfectly emphasize their grace, sweetness and beauty.
We at Bright Side love cats and everything that’s connected with them. Therefore, we want to show you beautiful tattoos of these incredible animals. And we warn you that after seeing these, you might also want to get a couple of tattoos.
1. “So…I got a tattoo of our 1-eyed floof.”
2. Beauty in minimalism
4. Sleeping with a mini-copy of itself
5. Magnetic eyes
6. 2 cats are better than 1
7. One line is enough to show grace.
8. A baby with its toy
9. “The tattoo I got of my cat Spice who passed over the rainbow bridge last year”
10. Here’s what tenderness looks like:
11. Bright colors make everything shine.
12. This kitten fits in the palm of your hand.
13. “Got this tattoo today of my boy who sadly passed away 3 months ago. I had 9 amazing years with him.”
14. The prettiest tiger ever
15. Fluffy squad
16. “OMG! Is it me?”
17. “Aristocats” tattoo
18. Exactly the same
19. Art of balancing
20. “I just love her so much and this came out absolutely perfect. My little cosmic goddess, baby girl Stevie!”
21. Don’t mess with this kitty.
22. Cats are never too much.
23. “2 brothers, 1 love”
24. Kittens are experts in romance.
25. The smell of freedom
26. “I’ll sit here for a bit.”
Would you ever get a cat tattoo? Or maybe you already have one! Share your thoughts and photos in the comments.
23 Times We Wanted to Arrest the Police for Being Too Cool
The police have a tough and pretty serious job to accomplish, so it’s really something when policemen surprise us with their sense of humor… Yes! They have a funny side too. Seeing them in cute photos taken when on duty or capturing themselves in ironic moments makes us want to offer them a hug.
At Bright Side we made a compilation of all the moments when people on duty proved to us that they are more than just serious law enforcement officials and that they take some time to chill just like we do.
1. When you are on duty but… SNOW ANGELS!
2. The roads were closed for the annual goose parade.
3. My iguana ran away, but the police found him. I had to pick him up from jail.
4. Junior class is always the hardest.
5. You know how it’s said that policemen love donuts, well they even workout with them.
6. When your Pokémon Go obsession is out of control:
7. This playground is totally safe.
8. A police officer was hired to supervise students because of a drug problem in school, but ended up playing magic the gathering with them.
9. Cops? What cops?
10. They were called to help with the snow but… Hey! If you don’t enjoy your job…
11. If you drink and drive your luxury room is already booked for you.
12. Parma Police officers found a bird and its nest at the base of a police car’s windshield, and they did their best to protect it.
13. Just don’t speed or you’ll get serenaded at your car door.
14. My friend is a cop in Australia and was put in charge of the traffic signs in his town. Oh, and he loves Ghostbusters.
15. Nobody move! We are going to search every dog in town.
16. But we love Cheetos on winter nights…
17. The police were called to campus today. I guess they got the job done.
18. Free advice for drivers:
19. Saving you from high temperatures too!
20. Good partners make space for each other.
21. That’s it! No more star wars for you mister.
22. Policemen chasing criminals in rollerblades, how cool is that!
23. Using her radar gun to make people smile, that’s a first.
We truly enjoy watching people have fun, especially those whose jobs are usually tough. And seeing their amusing personalities unfold is just an added bonus! Have you caught moments like this on the street? Do you have a cool story that includes the police? Share it in the comments.
Viral News5 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News7 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News3 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News4 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News5 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News8 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News6 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News2 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019