More than half a million fans are demanding that HBO “remake Game of Thrones Season 8 with competent writers,” just days before the season — and series — finale. While the online petition has rapidly racked up signatures since it went viral just one day ago, the number represents a small fraction of Game of Thrones’ immense fan base. But what it does provide is a stark glimpse at just how fierce the larger fandom-wide backlash over this season has grown.
A Game of Thrones fan created the petition on Change.org a week ago, on May 9 — several days before the cataclysmically divisive, penultimate episode of the series, “The Bells,” aired on May 12. But the petition didn’t pick up traction until it garnered media attention on May 15. At that point, it was gaining steam and had almost reached an earlier target of 15,000 signatures. As of this writing, on May 16, that number has leaped to nearly 500,000 signatures.
The rate of signatures seems to be slowing, and Change.org petitions are typically performative and rarely actionable. It’s also hardly a significant number next to the average viewership of Game of Thrones, which has typically drawn around 17 million viewers per episode so far this season. But the fact that so many people are angry enough to ask for a complete do-over indicates that the fandom’s overall level of discontent is very high indeed.
Throughout the season, fans and critics have admonished Game of Thrones’ showrunners for everything from poor character development to bad pacing and rushed storylines, and for production issues ranging from dark lighting to wayward coffee cups. “The Bells,” however, helped crystallize much of this fomenting dissatisfaction around a hugely polarizing twist in which Daenerys Targaryen effectively morphed into the villain of the series, after a full eight seasons of being presented as an unconventional savior and heroic figure — even a feminist one.
“Justice for [Daenerys’s] character assassination and the characters’ poorly rushed story arcs,” exclaimed one of the petition’s signatories.
“It’s the fact Season 8 was rushed with so few eps,” wrote another. “[E]verything just felt so sudden and fast with no build up! It was just Bang Boom White Walkers beat, Bang Boom suddenly Danny is the Mad Queen!”
The request for a do-over may seem entitled at a glance, but perhaps it’s not that unreasonable, especially considering that we’re living in an age when superhero franchises reboot themselves every few years or so. Rebooting or releasing a new adaptation also happens often with anime, especially if the manga a show is based on goes somewhere different than its initial anime did. It’s very plausible that this scenario could come to pass if George R.R. Martin ever finishes the Song of Ice and Fire fantasy novel series on which Game of Thrones is based, considering how much time the author has taken to release each installment thus far. So the idea of a remake that attempts to capture some of the threads and characters that the show omitted isn’t entirely out of left field.
But even if HBO were to reboot the series, there’s a good chance fans would take issue with the new vision of the series, too. That’s because at this point, Game of Thrones fandom is a fractured fan base, not a united one. Viewers include die-hard book fans who’ve been in the fandom for more than 15 years at this point. There are also Targaryen loyalists who have built their fandom around the idea of Daenerys as a feminist queen. There’s a whole subculture of fans who still want Stannis Baratheon to be king (seriously).
Some people are mainly watching because they’re invested in certain ships; and then there are casual fans who don’t have any deeper attachments but want to see their favorite characters get happy endings. There are hardcore show fans who refuse to go anywhere near the books or spoilers, and hardcore book fans who obsess over the differences between the show and the novels. Entire forums have been devoted over the years to tracking down, discussing, and analyzing spoilers from upcoming seasons and individual episodes, to the extent that Game of Thrones spoilers practically have their own sub-fandom.
In essence, whenever you have a fandom this big, the culture of that fandom will be divergent and multifaceted. Game of Thrones fandom is, in essence, like a microcosm of the internet at this point — something as far from a monolith as civilization itself.
So while it can be fun to watch the petition’s number of signatures go up, it’s worth remembering that Game of Thrones fans don’t exactly have a unified vision of how their beloved show should end. What is clear, however, is that while fans may not all be mad about the same things, many of them are definitely mad. After eight seasons, Game of Thrones is going out in a blaze — but maybe not of glory.
Cute Baby Dresses New Fashion Trend
26 Cat Tattoos That Can Leave a Paw Print on Your Heart
Tattoos are so popular that, for example, Americans spend $1.65 billion on them every year. As we know, cats are popular too. And real magic happens when these 2 things combine into one. We get great and unusual images of fluffies that perfectly emphasize their grace, sweetness and beauty.
We at Bright Side love cats and everything that’s connected with them. Therefore, we want to show you beautiful tattoos of these incredible animals. And we warn you that after seeing these, you might also want to get a couple of tattoos.
1. “So…I got a tattoo of our 1-eyed floof.”
2. Beauty in minimalism
4. Sleeping with a mini-copy of itself
5. Magnetic eyes
6. 2 cats are better than 1
7. One line is enough to show grace.
8. A baby with its toy
9. “The tattoo I got of my cat Spice who passed over the rainbow bridge last year”
10. Here’s what tenderness looks like:
11. Bright colors make everything shine.
12. This kitten fits in the palm of your hand.
13. “Got this tattoo today of my boy who sadly passed away 3 months ago. I had 9 amazing years with him.”
14. The prettiest tiger ever
15. Fluffy squad
16. “OMG! Is it me?”
17. “Aristocats” tattoo
18. Exactly the same
19. Art of balancing
20. “I just love her so much and this came out absolutely perfect. My little cosmic goddess, baby girl Stevie!”
21. Don’t mess with this kitty.
22. Cats are never too much.
23. “2 brothers, 1 love”
24. Kittens are experts in romance.
25. The smell of freedom
26. “I’ll sit here for a bit.”
Would you ever get a cat tattoo? Or maybe you already have one! Share your thoughts and photos in the comments.
23 Times We Wanted to Arrest the Police for Being Too Cool
The police have a tough and pretty serious job to accomplish, so it’s really something when policemen surprise us with their sense of humor… Yes! They have a funny side too. Seeing them in cute photos taken when on duty or capturing themselves in ironic moments makes us want to offer them a hug.
At Bright Side we made a compilation of all the moments when people on duty proved to us that they are more than just serious law enforcement officials and that they take some time to chill just like we do.
1. When you are on duty but… SNOW ANGELS!
2. The roads were closed for the annual goose parade.
3. My iguana ran away, but the police found him. I had to pick him up from jail.
4. Junior class is always the hardest.
5. You know how it’s said that policemen love donuts, well they even workout with them.
6. When your Pokémon Go obsession is out of control:
7. This playground is totally safe.
8. A police officer was hired to supervise students because of a drug problem in school, but ended up playing magic the gathering with them.
9. Cops? What cops?
10. They were called to help with the snow but… Hey! If you don’t enjoy your job…
11. If you drink and drive your luxury room is already booked for you.
12. Parma Police officers found a bird and its nest at the base of a police car’s windshield, and they did their best to protect it.
13. Just don’t speed or you’ll get serenaded at your car door.
14. My friend is a cop in Australia and was put in charge of the traffic signs in his town. Oh, and he loves Ghostbusters.
15. Nobody move! We are going to search every dog in town.
16. But we love Cheetos on winter nights…
17. The police were called to campus today. I guess they got the job done.
18. Free advice for drivers:
19. Saving you from high temperatures too!
20. Good partners make space for each other.
21. That’s it! No more star wars for you mister.
22. Policemen chasing criminals in rollerblades, how cool is that!
23. Using her radar gun to make people smile, that’s a first.
We truly enjoy watching people have fun, especially those whose jobs are usually tough. And seeing their amusing personalities unfold is just an added bonus! Have you caught moments like this on the street? Do you have a cool story that includes the police? Share it in the comments.
Viral News5 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News7 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News3 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News4 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News5 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News8 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News6 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News2 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019