There are tons of misconceptions about different countries and nationalities that many people still believe. For example, a lot of people think that Russia is always cold, that people in Spain constantly eat paella, and that people in Peru have llamas as pets. But these things are simply not true. So, Reddit users decided to reveal which stereotypes about their countries are completely false.
We at Bright Side have read all the comments and have chosen the most popular ones. We have discovered a lot of new information, maybe you will too.
- Multiple YouTubers, when they heard about Greece, they were like, “Is this still a country?” or even “What is it?” Everyone else thinks that we only eat Greek yogurt, feta, olives, drink wine, and use olive oil. Oh, and that we dance and break plates all day long. We most definitely do not do that. © faded1103
- People actually think we have llamas as pets and live in huts. © dliendo
- Not everyone in Spain dances flamenco, bullfighting is not that popular, and we don’t eat paella every day. © Fake_DM
That we have a “siesta” every day. It’s not true, sometimes we have 2. Joking, I never have a nap after lunch, but it’s true that most of the old people do. © KatKume
Normally most shops are closed from 12/1 PM to 4/5 PM, so you have time to go home, have lunch with your family, and take a nap before returning to your job. I would say that this is because of the temperature. In the middle of the day, it is SO hot in the summer that is impossible to do anything, so people take refuge in the shadows during these hours. In fact, during all of August, the whole country is completely paralyzed and nearly nobody is working. Just the touristic places are open, but most factories and companies close for the whole month. Now that I think about it, I always thought that it was like that all over the world. © KatKume
- People think that either we are all Russians, everyone speaks Russian, or our language and culture are very similar to Russian. All of these are false, most young people can barely say a few swear words in Russian and the older generation only knows some because they were under Soviet rule in their youth. Others believe that the Baltic states share the same culture and language. Estonian is a completely separate language, most closely tied to Finnish and little bit to Hungarian (Latvian and Lithuanian are in a completely different language tree). Some people also seem to have the idea that we live in a post-Soviet dystopian world which is underdeveloped, with no internet, and no clean water; while Estonia is actually one of the most developed IT countries in the world (and we have plenty of water, not to worry). © IamNameuser
- People think our country full of hungry people. © dawitfikadu3
- Living in Ethiopia currently — it has one of the fastest growing economies in the world right now, has recently appointed its first female president, and is experiencing a large amount of infrastructural growth! Of course, the rural areas are still facing a myriad of health, nutrition, and water issues, but the country is in a really progressive upswing. Pretty exciting. © lildonut_
- People have somehow got it into their heads that this country is made up of wild animals and runners. © Fellsong
- It is amazing how many people confuse Austria and Australia. (for those that just had to read that sentence twice.) © Ready_4_Reddit
- We don’t run around in lederhosen* all year round and drink beer all day. Also, 99% of the people here can’t yodel. And even though we’re known for the Alps, not all of Austria has high mountains. We don’t have kangaroos, we’re truly sorry for Hitler, and we try to make people think he’s German. © jamiefstr
*Lederhosen — leather pants with suspenders that the Bavarians and Tirolis wear.
- That Romania is full of gypsies when in fact, they make up about 3% of the population. © Jvartim
The Czech Republic
- Some people still think we are Czechoslovakia, we split in 1993. © Proton555
- “Wait, what’s that? Is it a city?” “No, it’s a small country in between Switzerland and Austria.” The only thing we have going for us is that half the world doesn’t even know we exist © Calvyam
*From Bright Side: the area of this small country is only 160 km². For perspective: Moscow is 16 times larger (2,561 km²).
- No, we don’t still live in yurts and ride horses every day. © orchlon
Which popular stereotypes about countries can you easily prove wrong?
Illustrated by Anna Syrovatkina for BrightSide.me
20 Texts That Prove a Relationship Is Not an Easy Game
Chats make our relationships more exciting and unpredictable! 25% of couples sometimes even text their partner when they are both home together. It’s very difficult to say goodbye to text messaging because so many funny and amusing things go on there!
We at Bright Side also love to laugh at digital chatting situations between couples and want to share with you a new genre of humor.
Do you also have chats like this with your partner? Please, share your stories below!
Marvel Phase 4: Black Widow, Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4 schedule revealed
For the first time in years we finally have an idea of what Marvel Studios has planned for the next phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The studio revealed its upcoming schedule during its Hall H panel at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday night, announcing at least 10 projects to expect over the next two years. The biggest revelations include the news that Natalie Portman will wield Thor’s hammer; Mahershala Ali will star in a new Blade project; and a confirmation from Marvel that it’s working on movies featuring some of the studio’s recently acquired characters.
Marvel’s business plan and marketing strategy has long been to hype what’s next, with much of that hype being driven by its signature post-credits scenes and panels at fan conventions like Comic-Con or Disney’s D23. And for awhile, it was customary for the studio to announce its release schedule several years early — in 2015 Marvel announced movies like 2018’s Black Panther and 2019’s Captain Marvel.
But even the studio’s two most-recent films — April’s colossal cinematic juggernaut known as Avengers: Endgame and this month’s Spider-Man: Far From Home — arrived in theaters, Marvel still hadn’t revealed what movies it’s launching in 2020, or if it plans to launch any at all. Meanwhile, the studio had kept relatively quiet save for a few casting and crew announcements (like we found out this week that Taika Waititi would be directing the fourth Thor movie).
Here’s what Marvel announced during its Comic-Con panel:
- Black Widow, starring Scarlett Johansson and Rachel Weisz and directed by Cate Shortland, arriving in theaters on May 1, 2020
- The Eternals, starring Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek and directed by Chloe Zhao, arriving in theaters on November 6, 2020
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, starring Simu Liu and directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, arriving in theaters on February 12, 2021. Shang Chi will be Marvel’s first film with a lead character of Asian descent.
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen (yes, Scarlet Witch) and directed by Scott Derrickson, arriving in theaters on May 7, 2021
- Thor: Love and Thunder, directed by Taika Waititi and starring Natalie Portman (who will wield the legendary hammer as the first female Thor), Tessa Thompson, and Chris Hemsworth, arriving in theaters on November 5, 2021
Marvel studios president Kevin Feige also confirmed upcoming movies involving the Fantastic Four and the X-Men’s mutants — characters who were previously owned by Fox, but which now fall under Marvel’s purview thanks to the recent Disney-Fox merger. He also confirmed that the sequels for Black Panther and Captain Marvel, are in development. Black Panther is Marvel’s biggest solo superhero movie to date, having made $1.3 billion worldwide, and Captain Marvel, its first solo superhero film to center on a female hero, also passed the $1 billion mark.
Vying for the biggest surprise of the evening was Feige bringing Mahershala Ali to the Comic-Con stage to announce a new Blade project. Ali previously appeared as the villain in Marvel’s Netflix series Luke Cage, so the new Blade film project possibly signals that Marvel’s television projects with Netflix and its cinematic universe are completely separate entities.
Marvel also revealed its television series lineup for Disney’s forthcoming streaming service Disney+, which is scheduled to launch in November:
- The Falcon & Winter Soldier in fall 2020
- WandaVision in spring 2021
- Loki in spring 2021
- WHAT IF …? — an animated series featuring characters from the MCU in summer 2021
- Hawkeye in fall 2021
For fans who can’t wait until 2020 for Marvel’s next best thing, rest assured. The studio will probably have more surprises to share next month — and perhaps even first-look footage or concept art from its upcoming projects— at Disney’s D23 convention, which will take place from August 23 to 25, 2019 in Anaheim.
23 Moving Photos That Prove Our Moms Deserve All the Love in the World
From creating cosplay costumes for us and making lunches for all of our friends to giving us everything they’ve got, mothers never fail to surprise us! Their imagination and wit have no limits, as they always know how to find a solution to any situation, even if their resources are limited and time is short. No matter how old we get, we’ll always stay kids in our mothers’ eyes and they’ll always rush to help us, even if we’re 30 years old.
Bright Side wants to admire our moms, which why we’re so happy to give you 23 photos where people captured moments of being emotional, clever, brave and strong.
1. After giving birth, a mother laughs hysterically at her husband who just fainted at the sight of their newborn son.
2. “Little me knew exactly how to show appreciation for my mother.”
3. Proud mom with her graduated son
4. “My mom gave me a kidney 2 years ago. All I can give her are flowers.”
5. This clever single mother dressed up as a dad to take her kid to “Donuts With Dad” day at school.
6. She has 3 daughters and she writes 5 lines a day to each of them. These will be gifts when they get married one day.
7. This mom poses as a power ranger with her son. You don’t need to be a child to know how to have fun!
8. A homeless mother is dressing her daughter for school.
9. “My friend’s mom made my turtles sweaters.”
10. “A coworker said her mom made lunch for the office. We accepted.”
11. The best cosplay is when your mom decides to participate in it too.
12. “I told my mom I was really sick today. An hour later she showed up at my house with this. I’m 30.”
13. “I’m a teacher in Canada and my mom made me this scarf to keep me warm.”
14. A daughter surprised her mother with an early return from deployment. Her mother’s emotions are priceless.
15. “Yesterday my mom ran for the first time in 9 months since the Boston Marathon bombings. She’s my inspiration!”
16. “Jokingly, I sent my mom a cutout of myself while I was studying abroad. She seems to be entertaining herself with it.”
17. “This is one of my favorite pics of my mom even though she isn’t in focus. Hope you guys enjoy it.”
18. “My mom smiling after saving 40 kids from a burning school bus today”
19. “Look at this giant blanket my mom crocheted!”
20. “This is how my mom greeted me at the airport after having not seen me for a few years. She made me walk through the entire airport under her left arm.”
21. “My mom and I have always bonded over GoT. This year she made me these cakes for my 30th ’name day’.”
22. “My father passed away from lung cancer in July. Mom had these gifts made for me and my brother. The best gift I’ve ever received.”
“This is a shirt I used to wear, and when you hold it I’ll be there. Love, Dad.”
23. “My mom graduating with her Ph.D. in social work from Tulane. Her goal was to graduate by 60 and she did it with a year to spare.”
BONUS: Moms are always the same, loving and caring for everyone.
Which photo did you like the most? Do you have an adorable photo of you with your mom? Let’s share them in the comment section!
Viral News5 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News7 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News3 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News5 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News4 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News8 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News6 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News2 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019