More than 200 people were killed and at least 450 others were injured in eight coordinated attacks on churches and hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday. The death toll continues to rise, with at least 207 people dead, according to police.
The attacks marks some of the worst violence the country has seen since the end of its civil war a decade ago. Police have imposed a 12 hour curfew that began at 6 p.m. local time. Officials have said flights will continue through that curfew, albeit with extra security checks.
Sri Lanka’s prime minister, Ranil Wickremesinghe, released a statement condemning the “cowardly attacks on our people” and asked “all Sri Lankans during this tragic time to remain united and strong.”
US president Donald Trump joined other international leaders in offering his condolences to Sri Lanka, saying: “The United States offers heartfelt condolences to the great people of Sri Lanka. We stand ready to help!”
Christians are a minority in Sri Lanka, with the majority of Christians in the country being Roman Catholic.
What We Know:
- Around 8:45 a.m. local time, a series of blasts rang out at three churches where Easter Mass was taking place, the New York Times says.
- One attacked church, St. Anthony’s Shrine, is in Sri Lanka’s capital of Colombo; a church 20 miles to the north, St. Sebastian’s Church in Negombo, was attacked as well; as was Zion Church in the eastern city of Batticaloa.
- Bombings occurred in at least five other locations, including three Colombo hotels: the Cinnamon Grand, the Shangri-La Hotel, and The Kingsbury Hotel.
- According to CNN, two other locations hit by bombs were: Dehiwala Zoo in Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia, and a house in Dematagoda, both Colombo suburbs.
- One witness, who was at the Shangri-La, said in a Facebook post: “The bomb blasted inside Table One Restaurant on the 3rd floor, the main restaurant of the Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo where people were apparently having their Easter breakfast. Felt the blast all the way up to the 17th floor where we were sleeping. Few minutes later, we were asked to evacuate the hotel. While running down the stairs, saw a lot of blood on the floor but we were still clueless as to what really happened.”
- Officials believe the attacks were conducted by people wearing suicide bombs. Authorities believe at least 207 people were killed and at least 450 others were wounded.
- At least 30 foreigners have been killed, according to Sri Lankan Minister of Economic Reforms and Public Distribution, Harsha de Silva. They include British, Turkish, Chinese, and Dutch nationals, as well as at least two people with dual US/UK citizenship. One US resident is currently missing. All foreigners were killed in the hotel attacks.
- Officials from countries whose residents were killed in the attacks say they have been in touch with wounded residents as well as with the families of victims. James Dauris, high commissioner of UK to Sri Lanka and Maldives said he has “been speaking this afternoon with Brits in hospital” and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands Stef Blok tweeted, “Our thoughts are with the victims, including one Dutch national at this moment.”
I’ve been speaking this afternoon with Brits in hospital who have been affected by today’s senseless attacks. My team’s and my thoughts go out to all those people who are suffering as a result of the deplorable violence #SriLanka has witnessed this Easter Sunday.
— James Dauris (@JamesDauris) April 21, 2019
Horrified by the terrible attacks on this Easter Sunday in Sri Lanka. Our thoughts are with the victims, including one Dutch national at this moment. The Netherlands has passed its heartfelt condolences to the Sri Lankan people. We stand with you.
— Stef Blok (@ministerBlok) April 21, 2019
- Sri Lanka’s prime minister, Ranil Wickremesinghe, is leading his government’s response; the president was abroad when the attacks happened. Wickremesinghe tweeted a statement condemning the attacks and requesting unity:
I strongly condemn the cowardly attacks on our people today. I call upon all Sri Lankans during this tragic time to remain united and strong. Please avoid propagating unverified reports and speculation. The government is taking immediate steps to contain this situation.
— Ranil Wickremesinghe (@RW_UNP) April 21, 2019
- The government state news portal, news.lk, said officials have imposed a temporary ban on social media across the country that includes messaging services like WhatsApp. The decision was made “as false news reports were spreading through social media,” according to the president’s office.
- Seven people have been arrested in connection with the bombings, the Sri Lankan defense minister told the New York Times. Their identities have not yet been made public, and no organization has taken responsibility for the attacks.
- Three police officers were killed in one of the raids searching a home in connection with the bombing, AFP reports.
Sri Lankan Special Task Force personnel are pictured outside a house during a raid, after a suicide blast had killed police searching the property in the Orugodawatta area of the capital Colombo, following a series of blasts in churches and hotelshttps://t.co/ZqdVahQgct pic.twitter.com/t4qHvnteia
— AFP news agency (@AFP) April 21, 2019
- A number of leaders have condemned the killings. Pope Francis, at Easter Mass Sunday referred to the attacks as “acts of cruel violence” and said, “I entrust to the Lord all those who have tragically perished,” he said. “And I pray for the injured and all those who suffer as a result of this tragic event.”
- Other world leaders including New Zealand’s prime minister Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister Imran Khan of Pakistan, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and US president Donald Trump have expressed their outrage over the attacks and sent their condolences to the Sri Lankan people.
16 Striking Photos That Can Touch Your Heart
Photos keep our memories safe and every time we look at them we can immerse ourselves in the moments that have been captured in them. They can also help us to understand what’s really important in this world. And it doesn’t matter whether these photos are from your personal album or belong to somebody else. Their messages, feelings, and emotions can be perceived in one glance.
Here at Bright Side, we believe that the following photos will really touch your heart.
This couple has battled leukemia for 15 years since they were children. Now they’re husband and wife.
This fireman gave a cat that got hurt in a fire mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and saved it.
“My dad, who has dementia, trying to remember my name”
His owner passed away but the dog continues to sit near his bed and wait.
This is what depression looks like over 24 hours.
Have you ever seen a blind dog enjoying the sounds of a lake?
An Iranian girl cheers for her favorite football team from behind the fence since Iranian women aren’t allowed into stadiums.
“My mom painted dementia.”
When all you have is memories:
The 3 social classes in The Philippines in one photo
“My buddy, a glass blowing artist, used my dad’s ashes to make a keepsake marble I can take with me anywhere.”
“She gave me the best 11 years of her life and I can only hope that I was able to do the same thing for her.”
“A year ago, my little sister left this world. This weekend her heart recipient met my mom and shared her heart beat.”
“The moment your dog comes out of the fire you thought he died in”
“3 months ago we were told our newborn was blind. 2 weeks ago we found out the doctors were wrong. Today, she got her glasses.”
“I’m just so proud of you!”
Today my daughter graduated from pre-K. After the ceremony, my son walked up to her and gave her a hug. “I’m just so proud of you,” he said. Then, of course, my daughter started crying. As we wiped away our tears, my husband asked her, “Pumpkin, why are you crying?” She responded, “I’m just so happy.”
Each photo has its own story. Which of them touched you the most?
Komünist Başkan, Aldığı Kararla Sosyal Medyada Trend Topic Oldu
Mehmet Fatih Maçoğlu’nun belediye başkanı olduğu Tunceli Belediyesi Meclisi, ‘Tunceli’ yazan belediye tabelasının ‘Dersim’ olarak değiştirilmesine karar verdi. Bu karar sonrası Maçoğlu, sosyal medyada Trend Topic oldu.
Tunceli Belediye Başkanı TKP’li Fatih Mehmet Maçoğlu başkanlığında belediye meclis üyeleri toplantısında alınan kararla Tunceli Belediyesi tabelasının ‘Dersim Belediyesi’ olarak değiştirilmesi kararı alındı. Karar tartışma yaratırken ‘DersimdeğilTunceli’ etiketi sosyal medyada Trend Topic oldu.
BELEDİYEDEN AÇIKLAMA YAPILDI
Belediyeden yapılan açıklamada Dersim ibaresiyle birlikte Zazaca ve Türkçe beleriye hizmetleri verileceği duyuruldu. Açıklamada şöyle denildi: “Kentimizin kültürü, tarihi ve inanç biçimini yaşatmak adına belediyemiz hizmet binasında bulunan tabelada yazılı ‘Tunceli’ ibaresinin değiştirilerek yerine ‘Dersim’ ibaresinin yazılması oy çokluğuyla kabul edildi. Haber
View at DailyMotion
15 Random People Who Look So Much Like Celebrities, You May Want to Take a Photo With Them
It’s not an easy goal to meet a real celebrity in our everyday life. Sometimes they are too busy with their activities or simply prefer to avoid public places. But when you see one right in front of you, don’t be too quick to jump over the moon and ask for a photo. Try to check their IDs first, because we are ready to show you that there are too many ordinary people who look just like stars and who probably wouldn’t miss a chance to pose and giggle afterward.
We at Bright Side compared photos of celebrities to their clones to demonstrate that this isn’t a joke. IDs first, photos after.
15. Kylie Jenner and Kristen Hancher, but which is which?
14. “My dad actually does Jack Nicholson lookalike work in Hollywood as a hobby.”
13. Breaking news! It seems Kim Kardashian has cloned herself.
12. “This fella lives in my house. I think James Franco and he follow each other on Instagram.”
11. “My sister always gets asked if she’s Julia Stiles.”
10. Nope, those aren’t just 2 pictures of Steve Buscemi!
9. Here’s chance for those who are upset that Michael Fassbender is married.
8. We’re just interested to see if Meghan Trainor’s double has the same talents.
7. We know this is pretty unexpected for Taylor Lautner, but we can’t unsee it.
6. This girl claims that she gets compared to Katy Perry daily.
5. When Chuck Norris is on vacation.
4. “Never mind, I’ll find someone like Adele.”
3. If Cobie Smulders doesn’t want to shoot How I Met Your Mother 10, there’s a perfect replacement out there.
2. Wait, so you’re saying that isn’t Zooey Deschanel on the right?
1. Even Zach Galifianakis and Jonah Hill can see this resemblance.
Do you have any friends who look exactly like movie stars? Show us their photos!
Viral News5 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News7 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News3 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News4 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News5 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News8 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News6 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News2 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019