Vox Sentences is your daily digest for what’s happening in the world. Sign up for the Vox Sentences newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox Monday through Friday, or view the Vox Sentences archive for past editions.
New York is trying to get Congress Trump’s tax returns; the UK ambassador to the US resigns after leaked cables.
New York bill provides possible new route to Trump’s tax returns
- New York passed a bill that would give lawmakers access to President Donald Trump’s state tax records — but it remains uncertain whether Congress will take up the opportunity. [NBC News / Allan Smith and Adam Edelman]
- Under the new law, the state’s tax commissioner must provide state tax returns to Congress if requested by the House Ways and Means Committee, the Senate Finance Committee, or the Joint Committee on Taxation. House Ways and Means Chair Richard Neal has been leading the battle for Trump’s federal tax returns. [WSJ / Jimmy Vielkind]
- The bill doesn’t name Trump, but New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has made clear whom it’s intended for. What remains murky is if and how Neal would use the bill, especially as criticism mounts against his slow handling of the situation. [NYT / Jesse McKinley and Nicholas Fandos]
- After a long delay, Neal finally sued the Treasury Department last week to get Trump’s federal tax returns after his subpoena for the documents was ignored. [Fox News / Ronn Blitzer]
- Trump’s lawyer has responded to the new bill by calling it “presidential harassment” and pledging to fight back if Congress actually uses it. [CNN / Paul LeBlanc, Lauren Fox, and Elizabeth Joseph]
- There’s debate over how the state tax returns could actually help, although some say they could provide a “road map” to the Trump oversight investigation. The topic might be moot, though, as Democratic leadership has shown little interest in the bill for now. [Vox / Emily Stewart]
UK ambassador to the US resigns after scandal
- UK Ambassador to the US Kim Darroch has resigned after private cables in which he made unflattering remarks about President Trump and the administration were leaked to a British tabloid. [Guardian / Peter Walker, Patrick Wintour, Rajeev Syal, and Sabrina Siddiqui]
- In the leaked communications, Darroch characterized the Trump administration as “clumsy and inept.” The president responded by calling Darroch “wacky” and a “pompous fool” and vowed to no longer do business with the ambassador. [Washington Post / Siobhán O’Grady and Claire Parker]
- In his resignation letter, Darroch said he was leaving his post, which technically doesn’t end until December, because his situation was making it impossible for him to do his job. [WSJ / Max Colchester, Jason Douglas, and Michael R. Gordon]
- Prime Minister Theresa May stood up for Darroch, saying his departure was ”a matter of deep regret.” UK foreign secretary and prime minister candidate Jeremy Hunt also said if he is elected, he would keep Darroch as US ambassador until the end of his tenure. [AP / Danica Kirka and Jill Lawless]
- It is unlikely, however, that Hunt will be elected, and frontrunner Boris Johnson failed to stand up for Darroch — which most likely fueled the ambassador’s resignation. During a televised debate Tuesday night, Johnson refused to say he would keep Darroch in his post if he won the election. [NYT / Stephen Castle]
- As Vox’s Jen Kirby points out, people are angry that Johnson seems to be appeasing Trump to protect the prospects of a possible trade deal with the US following Brexit. This is a risky bet, considering that Trump does not exactly have a history as a reliable trade partner. [Vox / Jen Kirby]
- Darroch’s resignation points to how bizarre the US-UK relationship has become. While there has typically been a separation between diplomacy and politics, such conventions do not stand in Trump’s administration. [BBC / Laura Kuenssberg]
- Doctors in Cleveland delivered the first US baby born from the uterus of a deceased donor. It’s another positive development in the study of uterus transplants. [AP]
- Prime Day, July 15, is Amazon’s biggest sale day. Warehouse workers in Minnesota will be using it to strike in protest of what they say are unfair labor practices by the company. [TechCrunch / Catherine Shu]
- It’s illegal to own an alligator in the state of Illinois. So how did a 5-foot gator end up in the lagoon of a popular Chicago park? [CNN / AJ Willingham]
- The housing crisis in LA has led to a rise in the homeless population. Business owners are trying to create physical obstacles that prevent people from camping outside their buildings — but many of their methods are technically not legal. [LA Times / Benjamin Oreskes]
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel was seen visibly shaking for the third time in less than a month, sparking concerns about her health, though she told news outlets she is “very well.” [NYT / Melissa Eddy]
“We don’t really believe this administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept.” [Kim Darroch’s assessment of the Trump administration per his leaked cables]
Watch this: India and Sri Lanka’s violent fight over fish
How a maritime border created a conflict in the Indian Ocean. [YouTube / Johnny Harris]
In 2004, E. Jean Carroll promised to help you land a man. Now she’s asking if you need one.
Solitary confinement isn’t effective. That’s why New Jersey lawmakers are trying to restrict it.
With cigarette consumption way down, Big Tobacco is giving away coupons in bars
How can it be wrong to give to your kid’s school?
Want to help people in Venezuela? Your best bet might be bitcoin.
Komünist Başkan, Aldığı Kararla Sosyal Medyada Trend Topic Oldu
Mehmet Fatih Maçoğlu’nun belediye başkanı olduğu Tunceli Belediyesi Meclisi, ‘Tunceli’ yazan belediye tabelasının ‘Dersim’ olarak değiştirilmesine karar verdi. Bu karar sonrası Maçoğlu, sosyal medyada Trend Topic oldu.
Tunceli Belediye Başkanı TKP’li Fatih Mehmet Maçoğlu başkanlığında belediye meclis üyeleri toplantısında alınan kararla Tunceli Belediyesi tabelasının ‘Dersim Belediyesi’ olarak değiştirilmesi kararı alındı. Karar tartışma yaratırken ‘DersimdeğilTunceli’ etiketi sosyal medyada Trend Topic oldu.
BELEDİYEDEN AÇIKLAMA YAPILDI
Belediyeden yapılan açıklamada Dersim ibaresiyle birlikte Zazaca ve Türkçe beleriye hizmetleri verileceği duyuruldu. Açıklamada şöyle denildi: “Kentimizin kültürü, tarihi ve inanç biçimini yaşatmak adına belediyemiz hizmet binasında bulunan tabelada yazılı ‘Tunceli’ ibaresinin değiştirilerek yerine ‘Dersim’ ibaresinin yazılması oy çokluğuyla kabul edildi. Haber
View at DailyMotion
15 Random People Who Look So Much Like Celebrities, You May Want to Take a Photo With Them
It’s not an easy goal to meet a real celebrity in our everyday life. Sometimes they are too busy with their activities or simply prefer to avoid public places. But when you see one right in front of you, don’t be too quick to jump over the moon and ask for a photo. Try to check their IDs first, because we are ready to show you that there are too many ordinary people who look just like stars and who probably wouldn’t miss a chance to pose and giggle afterward.
We at Bright Side compared photos of celebrities to their clones to demonstrate that this isn’t a joke. IDs first, photos after.
15. Kylie Jenner and Kristen Hancher, but which is which?
14. “My dad actually does Jack Nicholson lookalike work in Hollywood as a hobby.”
13. Breaking news! It seems Kim Kardashian has cloned herself.
12. “This fella lives in my house. I think James Franco and he follow each other on Instagram.”
11. “My sister always gets asked if she’s Julia Stiles.”
10. Nope, those aren’t just 2 pictures of Steve Buscemi!
9. Here’s chance for those who are upset that Michael Fassbender is married.
8. We’re just interested to see if Meghan Trainor’s double has the same talents.
7. We know this is pretty unexpected for Taylor Lautner, but we can’t unsee it.
6. This girl claims that she gets compared to Katy Perry daily.
5. When Chuck Norris is on vacation.
4. “Never mind, I’ll find someone like Adele.”
3. If Cobie Smulders doesn’t want to shoot How I Met Your Mother 10, there’s a perfect replacement out there.
2. Wait, so you’re saying that isn’t Zooey Deschanel on the right?
1. Even Zach Galifianakis and Jonah Hill can see this resemblance.
Do you have any friends who look exactly like movie stars? Show us their photos!
Research Says That People Who Blush Are More Generous and Trustworthy
Some people feel uncomfortable when they blush, because they believe that this reaction of their body makes them appear timid and insecure. However, the reality is very different, because blushing can make us look more sincere and trustworthy to other people.
Today, we at Bright Side would like to tell you why blushing is not a sign of weakness, as many used to think.
Humans are the only ones that blush.
Humans are the only species known to blush, according to the findings of Darwin. After observing the gestures of monkeys, while conducting his studies on evolution — he defined this reaction as “the most peculiar and the most human of all expressions,” that probably happens because of a social defense mechanism that humans create against feelings like guilt or shame.
It makes you more attractive to the opposite sex.
The truth is that, although it could be a social defense mechanism that speaks to our discomfort, we are more attractive when our cheeks begin to turn pink. This gesture reflects a bit of vulnerability, and it’s for that very reason that it also creates a sense of intimacy that is striking to the opposite sex. In addition, it makes us look radiant, which is why, when putting on makeup, we apply pink powder on our cheeks.
People who blush are more trustworthy.
According to a study that has been published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, people who blush easily are people who are considered to be trustworthy and more generous, compared to those who don’t react in the same way. The researchers of this study also claim that other forms of moderately expressing embarrassment and social vulnerability are true signs of virtue, since it’s not possible to reproduce these reactions voluntarily.
Other gestures that reveal our emotional state
In a series of experiments, 60 college students were videotaped recounting embarrassing moments. The results indicated that blushing generates trust in other people and that’s why we shouldn’t try to hide it. This investigation includes people who react with gestures like a downward gaze, covering their face, laughing involuntarily, and blushing at the slightest provocation.
Why we blush when we feel embarrassed
Our face turns red because when we are in an embarrassing situation, the body releases adrenaline, which is what causes the redness of the skin, as it increases the blood flow to the blood vessels. This process is linked to our sympathetic nervous system and, for this reason, we can’t control it. We can also feel our heart rate speed up, our breathing increase its frequency, and in some people it can cause them to start sweating.
When it comes to blushing, it’s impossible to lie.
Blushing is something that we, human beings, are unable to avoid. It’s a set of involuntary bodily functions that are unleashed when we are exposed to a situation that embarrasses us, although not always in an unpleasant way. But it always shows that something matters to us and that, if we’ve done something wrong, we do have the desire to fix it. Because of this, this reaction is linked to honesty. So, if you see your partner blushing, you should believe in what your eyes are seeing.
Do you blush very often? Do you find it embarrassing or is it something that doesn’t worry you too much? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below.
Viral News5 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News7 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News3 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News4 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News5 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News8 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News6 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News2 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019