Last Friday morning, President Donald Trump told reporters that Democrats “have become an anti-Jewish party.” During a speech to Republican donors at his private Mar-a-Lago club that night, Trump reportedly went even further and said “the Democrats hate Jewish people.”
It’s true Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) sparked controversy with recent comments about Israel and the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) that some interpreted as invoking anti-Semitic tropes, but the Democratic Party as a whole has made fighting anti-Semitism and other hate speech broadly central to its ideology — especially as Republicans, including Trump, have defended white nationalists and deployed anti-Semitic dog whistles in campaign messaging.
Unsurprisingly, during her first press briefing since late January on Monday, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders was repeatedly challenged to defend what Trump said on Friday. Her efforts to do so not only went poorly but also gave an indication of what Democrats are in for ahead of what promises to be a bruising 2020 campaign cycle.
ABC’s Jon Karl began by pressing Sanders to explain how it’s not hypocritical for Trump to use Omar’s comments as a political cudgel when he’s refused to denounce Rep. Steve King (R-IA), who has unapologetically retweeted self-described “Nazi sympathizers,” met and associated with representatives of far-right European parties with Nazi ties, and pushed anti-Semitic conspiracy theories about Jewish billionaire and Democratic donor George Soros.
“The president — correct me if I’m wrong — has not condemned Steve King,” Karl noted. “Even when he praised white supremacy.”
Sanders resorted to suggesting Trump has denounced King to her in private, even if he hasn’t done so publicly.
“I speak on behalf of the president on a number of topics,” she said.
A short time later, Sanders repeatedly refused to answer NBC reporter Hallie Jackson’s straightforward question about “yes or no — does the president truly believe that Democrats hate Jews?”
“I’m not going to comment,” Sanders replied.
“You didn’t say yes or no. Does he really believe Democrats hate Jews?” Jackson followed up.
But instead of answering, Sanders referred further questions about Trump’s beliefs to the very people he’s demeaned.
“I think that’s a question you ought to ask the Democrats,” she said.
.@HallieJackson: You didn’t answer the question earlier. Yes or no — does the president believe Democrats hate Jews?
SANDERS: “Ah, I’m not gonna comment.”
JACKSON: You aren’t answering the question.
SANDERS: “I believe I answered it twice.”
(She never answered it.) pic.twitter.com/jDX4Cvfj9H
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) March 11, 2019
Toward the end of the briefing, CNN’s Jim Acosta asked Sanders if she would at least agree that Trump’s superheated rhetoric is “sort of beneath everybody.”
“Do you think that the president has thought at all, going into this 2020 campaign, that the rhetoric just needs to be lowered?” Acosta asked. “Whether it’s talking about Democrats, the media, immigrants — or should we just plan on hearing the president use the same kind of language that we heard in 2016, and all through the first couple years of this administration?”
Sanders replied with a drastic escalation by resorting to a false talking point about Democrats and abortion.
“I think that the real shame in all of this is that Democrats are perfectly capable of coming together and agreeing on the fact that they are comfortable ripping babies straight from a mother’s womb, or killing a baby after birth, but they have a hard time condemning the type of comments from congresswoman Omar,” she said, intentionally blurring the line between late-term abortions, a procedure undergone by a very small minority of women, often under dire circumstances, and killing a baby, which is infanticide.
Sanders falsely accuses Democrats of “agreeing on the fact that they are comfortable ripping babies from the mother’s womb, or killing a baby after birth.” pic.twitter.com/VhH7QpZJpP
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) March 11, 2019
Sanders’s supercharged comments about Democrats and abortion marked the second time in a week she used that lie as a distraction. Last Monday evening, she responded Democrats making wide-ranging document requests of people and entities associated with Trump by accusing Democrats of trying to obscure their “radical agenda of … killing babies after they’re born.”
In sum, on Monday, Sanders tried to justify Trump’s baseless comments about Democrats hating Jews with dodging, deflecting, and lies. Her comments indicate that while Democratic presidential hopefuls spend the next year or so mostly debating policy, Trump will be busy trying to demonize them as hateful baby murderers ahead of the 2020 general election contest.
The news moves fast. To stay updated, follow Aaron Rupar on Twitter, and read more of Vox’s policy and politics coverage.
Cute Baby Dresses New Fashion Trend
26 Cat Tattoos That Can Leave a Paw Print on Your Heart
Tattoos are so popular that, for example, Americans spend $1.65 billion on them every year. As we know, cats are popular too. And real magic happens when these 2 things combine into one. We get great and unusual images of fluffies that perfectly emphasize their grace, sweetness and beauty.
We at Bright Side love cats and everything that’s connected with them. Therefore, we want to show you beautiful tattoos of these incredible animals. And we warn you that after seeing these, you might also want to get a couple of tattoos.
1. “So…I got a tattoo of our 1-eyed floof.”
2. Beauty in minimalism
4. Sleeping with a mini-copy of itself
5. Magnetic eyes
6. 2 cats are better than 1
7. One line is enough to show grace.
8. A baby with its toy
9. “The tattoo I got of my cat Spice who passed over the rainbow bridge last year”
10. Here’s what tenderness looks like:
11. Bright colors make everything shine.
12. This kitten fits in the palm of your hand.
13. “Got this tattoo today of my boy who sadly passed away 3 months ago. I had 9 amazing years with him.”
14. The prettiest tiger ever
15. Fluffy squad
16. “OMG! Is it me?”
17. “Aristocats” tattoo
18. Exactly the same
19. Art of balancing
20. “I just love her so much and this came out absolutely perfect. My little cosmic goddess, baby girl Stevie!”
21. Don’t mess with this kitty.
22. Cats are never too much.
23. “2 brothers, 1 love”
24. Kittens are experts in romance.
25. The smell of freedom
26. “I’ll sit here for a bit.”
Would you ever get a cat tattoo? Or maybe you already have one! Share your thoughts and photos in the comments.
23 Times We Wanted to Arrest the Police for Being Too Cool
The police have a tough and pretty serious job to accomplish, so it’s really something when policemen surprise us with their sense of humor… Yes! They have a funny side too. Seeing them in cute photos taken when on duty or capturing themselves in ironic moments makes us want to offer them a hug.
At Bright Side we made a compilation of all the moments when people on duty proved to us that they are more than just serious law enforcement officials and that they take some time to chill just like we do.
1. When you are on duty but… SNOW ANGELS!
2. The roads were closed for the annual goose parade.
3. My iguana ran away, but the police found him. I had to pick him up from jail.
4. Junior class is always the hardest.
5. You know how it’s said that policemen love donuts, well they even workout with them.
6. When your Pokémon Go obsession is out of control:
7. This playground is totally safe.
8. A police officer was hired to supervise students because of a drug problem in school, but ended up playing magic the gathering with them.
9. Cops? What cops?
10. They were called to help with the snow but… Hey! If you don’t enjoy your job…
11. If you drink and drive your luxury room is already booked for you.
12. Parma Police officers found a bird and its nest at the base of a police car’s windshield, and they did their best to protect it.
13. Just don’t speed or you’ll get serenaded at your car door.
14. My friend is a cop in Australia and was put in charge of the traffic signs in his town. Oh, and he loves Ghostbusters.
15. Nobody move! We are going to search every dog in town.
16. But we love Cheetos on winter nights…
17. The police were called to campus today. I guess they got the job done.
18. Free advice for drivers:
19. Saving you from high temperatures too!
20. Good partners make space for each other.
21. That’s it! No more star wars for you mister.
22. Policemen chasing criminals in rollerblades, how cool is that!
23. Using her radar gun to make people smile, that’s a first.
We truly enjoy watching people have fun, especially those whose jobs are usually tough. And seeing their amusing personalities unfold is just an added bonus! Have you caught moments like this on the street? Do you have a cool story that includes the police? Share it in the comments.
Viral News5 months ago
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame hits theaters April 2019
Viral News7 months ago
Tony Robbins: HOW TO START OVER – 2019
Viral News3 months ago
This Is the Right Order to Watch the Marvel Movies to Get Ready for “Avengers: Endgame”
Viral News4 months ago
How to Answer Uncomfortable Questions So That People Don’t Ask Them Again
Viral News5 months ago
Actor / Actress (5-Minute Crafts)
Viral News8 months ago
16 Game of Thrones Actors You Wouldn’t Recognize Without Makeup
Viral News6 months ago
Top 5 Viral Plays of the Year // 2018
Viral News2 months ago
All in the Family and The Jeffersons translate surprisingly well to 2019